Featured A Trip To Triumph World! Hanging Out At The Dealership Again

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Sandi T, Aug 9, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #1 Sandi T, Aug 9, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    My second rideout since January was to our Triumph dealership yesterday morning. Mr. Sandi and I fondly refer to it as "Triumph World". It was awesome to be back at the dealership seeing friends there, some of whom I've known for nearly ten years. While away from riding I've really missed hanging around dealerships ogling bikes, sitting on a few, and generally just talking bikes with staff and fellow customers. Recently I got a recall notice on my Speed Triple. I decided I'd have the work done when I could ride to Triumph World myself. I always find waiting for my bike to be a good excuse to hang out around motorcycles and motorcycle people. :) Our local dealership also sells KTM's and Kawasaki's but the nicest space in the store is the Triumph area. :cool:
    IMG_9285.jpeg

When Mr. Sandi and I pulled up to AZ-KKT we were quite surprised to see only two used bikes outside the building. Generally there are as many as ten parked outside. There were fewer used bikes indoors, too. Bruce, the primary salesman, said that they are as busy as can be and can't keep a decent inventory of used bikes as demand is through the roof.

Here's Bruce on the phone. The Triumph corner is behind him and to his left. The building itself is huge and when the original business (Performance Cycles) was sold back in 2016 the new owners did a major overhaul--definitely for the better. I bought my 2016 Thruxton R and my 2019 Speed Triple from Bruce. My 2012 Thruxton was purchased in this building, too, but under the previous business and from a different salesman although Bruce worked for that owner, too.
    Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 3.24.56 PM.png

When we arrived I rode my Speed Triple right into the service area. The guys are great and typically let me go into that area to talk with my mechanic or look at a new bike being assembled or just to ride my bike in to the service bay. Corey is my go-to mechanic and he's excellent at his job and is just super nice young man. This time around in addition to the recall service I had done what they call a "Pit Stop" service-- essentially a once-over on things like fasteners, fluids, tire pressures, etc.. It also includes chain maintenance which I needed. I usually do that at home using my Pit Bull stand but right now I'm not too eager to be doing that until my arm and hand strength is back to normal.
    Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 2.37.10 PM.png

Mr. Sandi rode my Street Glide Special today to get it out and moving. Our plan was to hit AZ-KKT first for my Triumph service then continue on over to Tucson Harley-Davidson which is only a couple of miles to the north. My Harley needed a couple of minor adjustments related to my recent customization. But it was hot and getting hotter by the minute, so Mr. Sandi decided to go to THD then ride back and pick me up.
    IMG_9313.jpeg

I was surprised--and pleasantly so--and the sheer number of Triumphs on the floor at AZ-KKT. Plus I was very eager to see some of the bikes that have been out for a bit but that I'd not yet seen like the Thruxton and Bobber TFC's and the new snazzy carbon Daytona. :) They had one Rocket TFC at one point but sold it.

I am and probably always will be a sucker for Thruxtons. This one certainly didn't escape my lust! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:
    IMG_9291.jpeg

I am totally smitten with the looks and details and fit & finish on the Bobber TFC. But I sat on it and the ergonomics are just not up my alley. Too "clam shell" for my taste unfortunately. Or maybe fortunately! :joy: There is a motorcycle-sized space in the garage now since I traded two Harleys for one last May. ;)
    IMG_9288.jpeg

I also sat on a Daytona Moto2 765 of which they have two. What a cool bike. :cool: Again, however, the ergonomics weren't really for me. But, hey, as a third bike I'm sure I could learn to love it. :cool: Here I am in my Covid Martini Mask. Appropriate for a motorcycle dealership but unfortunately not so much for work. :expressionless:
    IMG_9317.jpeg

The last time I was at "Triumph World" was awhile back when AZ-KKT was just getting in their Rocket shipments and when everyone was hot for that model. I still love the Rocket (yes, Dilli, I know you do, too) and currently they have a whole tempting row of them. :grinning:
    Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 3.59.30 PM.png

When Mr. Sandi arrived back from THD he also threw a leg over a few models. He was most drawn to the Tigers and he particularly liked 1200 Desert Edition that he's sitting on at the far end of the row of Bonnies. That was his favorite bike at the dealership. For today anyway!
    IMG_9329.jpeg

As I mentioned, I'm a sucker for Thruxtons. When asked if there's one bike I've owned that I could have back in the garage, I always respond that it would be my 2016 Silver Ice Thruxton R. That bike is long gone but (unsurprisingly) I found this Competition gem to be quite tempting. And a good deal! ;) And then there's that empty motorcycle space in our garage......... :joy:
    IMG_9332.jpeg

• Like Like x 27
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Great pic's and write up as always @Sandi T. it looks a nice dealership, I remember Performance Cycles they seem to improved on that place looks like you had a grand time out, thanks for sharing it

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, Don! It’s so interesting and cool that you remember Performance Cycles. Such a small world we live in. :) Yes, this new business is much improved although I really did like some of the fellows that I got to know when it was Performance Cycles, My mechanic in particular. But the current business is much more viable and professional. And the change they made with the “ Triumph Corner“ is really pretty spectacular.:grinning:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Yes they improved the place well, some of my colleagues used to race bikes so took the opportunity to purchase a lot of performance parts while we where based statesside items hard to find in the UK or just because at the time it was a lot cheaper.

• Like Like x 1
  5. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Great write up and pictures Sandi. That looks like a good dealership and a fun place to visit. I abandoned my local dealer due to a complete lack of interest when looking at the new Tiger, which is why I went to Fowlers in Bristol to buy one.
    20200807_132715.jpg

Triumph are on the first floor (that's second floor to you!) With Yamaha at ground floor level and Kawasaki temporarilly on the third. Also in there are KTM, Moto Guzzi, Suzuki, Aprilia, Husqvarna, Piaggio and Vespa. Honda and Harley Davidson are in separate buildings. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  6. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Great post. And I so wish we had dealerships and proper garages like you guys have. When it comes to Sweden Triumph are slowly dying in terms of the amount of reseller, mechanics and garages around.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Not sure to be honest. I did send an e-mail to Mr Bloor pointing out the current situation in Sweden.
    Now, Triumph has increased their sales a lot but the resellers are fewer than ever. Talked to some that stopped selling Triumph bikes and they said that Triumph themselfs (this was around 2014, so a while back) is taking the piss when it comes to the criteria that resellers has to meet to be able to sell and service the bikes. So many stopped selling and servicing them.

Not sure the amount of truth in what the reseller told me but have heard it from a few places.

Bloor forwarded the mail to the regional manager for the Nordic countries and I got in touch with a guy there that said they are looking into it. But not much has happened to be honest.
    In the Stockholm area we have one reseller that can carry out work on and service the bike and they have had the worst reputation for years. The next place is a 2,5 hour drive away.

When I got my first Triumph we used to have a brilliant place where people could meet up for a coffee, order parts and drool over what was new in the show-hall. But all that is long gone. Triumph are now just a brand mixed with all other brands at most resellers, a shame really.

But...still hoping for a change, maybe the current crisis will get some tired old arses in motion.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    A Grand Day Out @Sandi T. and thanks for the story / images. Out here in the wilderness, Triumph dealers are scattered wide. Chicago is about three hours away, with MCC and Motoworks the notable locations. Baxter Triumph is the cats, but at least 8 hours drive near Omaha. The fellows up in Dubuque are closest, but still a poke and it isn't a "hang around and chit-chat" place. Their lead mechanic is a taciturn block of broken glass, but very good at his business. I had them replace the chain and sprockets on the the RS a while back, and asked if the rubber spacers in the rear hub should be changed. His response was that for a bike that old, only idiots would use the use the old ones. Good advice, delivered with a cup of bile. Better method is to just tell him to fix what's broke, and you will get exactly what's needed and nothing more. At any rate, thanks for the enjoyment of reading your adventures.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I'll add my thanks for the read and the pictures, Sandi. Always good to see and hear about places we probably won't get to visit ut are nonetheless familiar.
    Rachel and I took a ride up to Leeds yesterday, ostensibly for me to buy some new leathers from Sportbikeshop. To cut a long story short, I ended up with nowt, even after trying J&S next door, and she left with a nice pair of jeans and new boots. No pictures as they're just pretty ordinary clothing shops. A fact that got me in to trouble in the morning when R realised Sportsbikeshop don't actually sell bikes and I hadn't mentioned that small fact. She's another one who enjoys mooching around the showrooms, trying a few bikes on for size.

• Like Like x 7
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Looks like you had a great day out and I have to agree with you about the thruxton. That british racing green is my favorite colour as well, which is why I have one in the garage. Go on you know that you love it and that space in your garage definitely needs filling :):)

• Like Like x 3
  11. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, Steve. Yes, it's a great dealership and I really enjoy the place and the people. Very good service, too. Not only is my dealership a good one, it's only five miles from my house. I'm sorry to read that your local dealership is such a disappointment. I've never understood how a dealership can afford to be disinterested or to treat customers poorly. That said, Fowlers certainly looks like an amazing place! Sort of like "Motorcycle Central". It must be like being a little kid in a toy store to be there. :grinning:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    That's a shame to hear, SuperHans. I try not to take our dealerships here in Tucson for granted. I learned what it was like to not have a local Triumph dealer back in 2016 when Performance Cycles went out of business. For about six months there wasn't a Triumph dealer in town. And, of course, during that time I had a safety recall on my brand new Thruxton R and wound up riding it up to Phoenix to a dealership there. I didn't feel very comfortable riding a bike with a recall on it 100 miles up the road but researched the problem and decided to go for it. The other bummer was that the day we rode up there the temperature was 30ºF. So being on a small fairingless bike made for a chilly ride!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks for your positive feedback, Hobnail.

While I live is an actual desert, it sounds like you live in a "Triumph desert". That is truly too bad. :(Having a local dealership where you can hang out and develop relationships with folks is such a nice part of being a motorcyclist and it sounds like that's definitely not something that's part of your Triumph ownership experience. Plus it turns having work done on your bike into somewhat of an ordeal. over your description of the lead mechanic at Dubuque--"a taciturn block of broken glass". I've met a few of those guys in my motorcycling days. Fortunately they've been few and far between. Well, at least he's good at his work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Nice you got out for a ride yesterday, Octoberon, and that at least Rachel got some jeans and boots out of the deal. :) Also nice to know there are other women out there who, as you put it so well, "enjoy mooching around the showrooms, trying a few bikes on for size". I love that description! That's exactly what I like to do. Friends used to ask me--as did the salespeople I know--if I was looking to buy when I'd ask to sit on bikes. I'd say, "Well, you just never know". ;) Now most of them know that I just like to sit on lots of different bike and "try them on for size". :joy: Same with test rides. Although on more than one occasion a test ride has led to a trade and a new bike in the garage. :blush:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona

Oooh, don't encourage me, Wessa. It doesn't take much. ;):joy: I've told Mr. Sandi that he should fill that empty space with a second bike of his own but he's not interested. Guess that leaves it up to me. :cool: Nature abhors a vacuum.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Mr Sandi is obviously a gentleman and has opened the door for you to fill the space with a BRG TTr :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  17. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    If it helps, J&S in Doncaster sell bikes.
    Just sayin'!

18. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Could well find ourselves over that way at some point. Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  19. pistonbroke

pistonbroke Senior Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Lancashire
    Love the green and gold combination on the last photo

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Oh ..... nearly forgot! There's a butty van in the car park!!:yum Well, there was last time I was thereabouts.

• Like Like x 1