Featured A Tale Of Two Test Rides: The Electric Livewire And The Low Rider S

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Sandi T, Oct 28, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    That does sound fun, JtC! We were there mid-day so no live music at that point. What an interesting place. Not really what I expected--though I'm not quite sure what that was! :joy::joy::joy:

IMG_0533.jpeg

IMG_0538.jpeg

IMG_0542.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  2. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA

Hmmm. So, you had to save the wheelies for the END of the test ride then :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Good write up
    I'm "interested" enough to try an electric bike.
    Just wish they'd sort the range out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Yes, the range is definitely an issue and dealbreaker, @roadrider. If you're low on gas it doesn't take long to gas up again. Not so with charging a battery!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Always reminded me of these guys:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    especially stateside in the more remote area's

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i must have missed this thread first time round, everyone that has tried an electric bike seems to like them, i guess they could add an exhaust soundtrack to the bike or even have various soundtracks, that might be fun!
    I'll give it another 3/4 years and hopefully the range will be an acceptable 200-300 miles

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    It is super weird that the bike makes such little sound, Dougie. But it's definitely not NO sound...but it sure doesn't sound like a motorcycle. I also got to ride a LiveWire prototype maybe 5-6 years ago at this point and part of the deal was to provide feedback. I think enough people--including me--must have said that it's just too weird that at stop lights you can't even tell the bike is on. So one of the things they added was a little "pulse" when the bike is stopped but turned on--sort of like a heartbeat. Though subtle you could definitely feel it. And I like it much better than feeling and hearing absolutely nothing when at a stop light.

I'm in complete agreement with the current range acceptability. Even if there were to be lots of charging stations, I can't imagine it taking 20-30 minutes (or more?) to to recharge vs. being able to gas up in 5 minutes! At this point the range on electric bikes renders them fairly useless for anything but very short commutes or being a "bar hopper". Even if and when the range approaches 200-300 miles, if charging availability and time are still an issue, so too will be the usefulness of electric bikes for anything except around town jaunts in my opinion. For me, that would relegate an electric bike to being a fun little novelty if I had tons of space and and scads of money--and I've neither.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    A useful catch-up on electric bikes. I have yet to experience a ride on one, so can’t offer an objective view.
    If I’m still able to ride by the time we have to give up on our ice bikes I guess I will have to give them a try. But for now I’m going to go with my noisy, smelly bikes :);)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  12. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    Me too. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2