A Quick Question About Coolant

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Big Sandy, Nov 3, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    I need to swap my starter motor out(finally got funds for a new (to me) one.

I need to drain the cooling system, as there's a hose running right across the back of the starter which will stop me pulling it. (it's a 96 triumph sprint 900)

What coolant do you recommend? Bluecol or similar, ethylene glycol... Or that new fangled (to me... Mostly 50's technology in my stable) OAT stuffs?

I have the mot due in the next month, and the way things are looking I won't get much time to do any major work on it, so am in the planning stage at the moment.

Thanks in advance, as ever.

2. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    • Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  3. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    Use distilled water, not chalky old tap in your mix too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    For some random reason this device won't open the link, it does that sometimes... So looked for the mannol stuff... That's not a bad price for 5l...

Ah, I wouldn't dare use our tap water, it's currently brown with peat, and the last sample of it failed the 'safe to drink' test. (again. Long story) Needless to say, it will be very acidic.

I was thinking of bottled water, but distilled makes more sense. What do you's guys reckon to premixed?

5. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    My guess is 5L of premix is more expensive than 2.5 of antifreeze and 2.5 of distilled, like ready mix screenwash.
    Also I favour a 50/50 mix, might be weaker in premix

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Yes generally premix works out slightly dearer than buying concentrate and distilled water but ready mixed anti freeze has a temperature range down to about -34C so should be good enough for even Big Sandy in the far north!

One way of getting distilled water on the cheap is to use defrost water from the fridge or freezer.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    I usually put 50/50 in the other vehicles, so will mix mine own I think. It may also leave some over for topping up if ever required.

I'm not sure what's in there at the moment, I measured it and its good for - 20, so wants a change anyway.

I'm not sure whether to flush it as well... If there's any leaks, new antifreeze will certainly find them.

• Like Like x 1