A Couple Of Rs Issues....

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by tcbandituk, May 16, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Took the RS out yesterday, had a good ride but now have a couple of issues with it.
    One is my fault I believe, the other not so much.

The brakes seem to have a little bit of air in them.
    I suspect this is where I raised the bars about 20mm and when I moved the bars to insert the spacers, although I was careful not to stretch the line, I think some air air may have got in the master cylinder when rotating the bars forward.
    Easily sorted in 10 minutes in the garage.

The second issue is more problematic and appears to be with the cruise control and mode setting.
    The cruise control can be turned on ready for being set when riding, but when you try and set the speed it does nothing.
    Also, when trying to set the mode when moving, you can select the mode, press the joystick to accept, but when you close the throttle, as instructed, to finalise the mode selection, it doesn't seem to detect the closed throttle.
    You can select the mode fine when the bike is stopped, just not when it's mobile.
    There's no alerts on the dash or any sign of it going in to limp home mode.
    The bike's booked into the dealers for them to have a look, they suspect it's something else rather than the throttle position sensor (my first thought) as it has two separate ones due to Triumph wanting to be sure there's no throttle issues....

Other than that it's still running fine and (just to check the limp home setting isn't cutting in) lifting the front, so I'm not too worried as long as it's fixed.

Might have to go out again today to check it out....:p

2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Not sure why you should have got air in via the master cylinder when rotating the bars but you should be able to sort that.
    Second problem sounds like a dealer job mate - let them sort that one out! :D

3. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    If you look at the example pic (ignoring that it's actually a Thruxton :p), I moved the bars forward of the handlebar mounts while adding the spacers.
    I think I may have rotated them a bit too far clockwise accidentally when moving them, possibly letting air from the reservoir get into the master cylinder.
    If I can't sort it (possibly because of the ABS system) Bulldogs said they'd bleed them while it's in for the throttle issue.

4. Matthew Upshall

Matthew Upshall Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Reading
    Martin, the mode change needs zero throttle and then the clutch pulled in.
    My cruise control sets the current speed with two presses of the -/set button, you can then change the speed as required. You can also adjust speed with the throttle and then re set the cc.

I have an issue with the tft screen flashing when I go a little quick, I am not sure if it’s the whole lightning system as cars were getting out of my way on the way home last night,

Will check battery and screen connections today.

Catch up soon

5. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Yup, I've been using both fine up until yesterdays trip. :)

6. Tony Rokins

Tony Rokins Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Reading, U.K.
    Matt,
    Did you resolve the issue with your screen?
    T

7. Matthew Upshall

Apr 1, 2017
    Reading
    Tony, I thought it had resolved it’s self, however it has reoccurred since.

It’s really strange as it only happens when I wind it on a little.

It seems you got the good one of the three!

Catch up soon

Matt

8. Tony Rokins

Jun 26, 2017
    Reading, U.K.
    Not quite Matt....I have an issue with the joy stick sticking when I pull it to the left. Means the information tray at the bottom of the screen cycles through the coolant, mpg etc displays really rapidly.
    Maybe its me as I have short, stubby little thumbs....but it just keeps going until I re-centre the switch.....
    Bulldogs have taken a look when it was in for the 500 mile service and have put some electrical contact lubricant on it, i.e spayed it with Electrolube, but to no effect....
    Can't say this minor issue has spoiled my enjoyment though
    Tony

9. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    I test rode a Street RS recently with 5k miles on and the joystick kept sticking so may be a general issue.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Andymarksonline

Andymarksonline Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Kent
    Just picked my new rs up and it’s sticking despite being told that would be rectified after I test rode it. Guess I’ll be phoning the dealer tomorrow...

11. Tony Rokins

Jun 26, 2017
    Reading, U.K.
    Mine has since stopped sticking
    T

12. Tony Rokins

Jun 26, 2017
    Reading, U.K.
    Mine has since stopped sticking
    T

13. Andymarksonline

Aug 26, 2018
    Kent
    So it fixed itself!

14. Tony Rokins

Jun 26, 2017
    Reading, U.K.
    Either that or the electrolube worked it's way in...….
    T

15. Gixer7502

Gixer7502 New Member

Jul 27, 2018
    Peterborough
    No need t pull the clutch in to change mode just close throttle as stated on the screen.

I also have the issue with the TFT screen flickering above 7k rpm and my bike is currently with the dealer until Tuesday so hopefully they have a resolution!!!

16. Matthew Upshall

Apr 1, 2017
    Reading
    My screen was replaced and that rectified the fault.

Hopefully your dealer will do the same.

Matt

• Like Like x 2
  17. Chester Monty

Chester Monty Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2016
    Chester
    My joystick has started sticking in the down position, have tried wd40 but it hasn't work! Has anybody found a solution to this issue? Thanks

18. Andymarksonline

Aug 26, 2018
    Kent
    My one did this after I bought it. The dealer tried some spray but in the end it was replaced under warranty.

Andy.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Tony Rokins

Jun 26, 2017
    Reading, U.K.
    Try Electrolube
    T