A CBT and a scooter is all I need ...

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Thruccy Sean, Mar 14, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Thruccy Sean

Thruccy Sean Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Is exactly what I told myself a few years ago, and so that's exactly what I did! However I soon grew bored of a scooter and wanted to ride a 'proper' geared motorcycle.

I ended up getting a 2005 Suzuki Van Van and shortly after took my A1 lisence as I didn't want to ride with L plates anymore.

Surely I would be happy now?

But nope fast forward another year and a half and I find myself dreaming of Thuxton's, Scramblers and Bonneville's. I ride past a heavily modded scrambler and thruxton everyday on the way to work.

Actually I lie, I now change my route to work JUST so I can ride past these bikes and stare ...

I knew I had a problem when the owner of the Thruxton rode past me one day and I actually said 'oh baby' out loud!

For something that a few years ago I had absolutely no interest in I've got quite into bikes. I've pulled my Van Van apart and put it back together and have loved every minute of it, I've been out on several ride outs with fellow owners and even have even been green laning a handful of times around Box Hill. There's nothing I enjoy more than sitting out in the garden fiddling with bike parts and working out what the next project will be.

Sadly though the Van Van must go. It's served me well but I have bigger plans now.

Mod 1 passed on the DAS yesterday and Mod 2 is lined up shortly.

I've got my eyes on a Thuxton. I keep going into the local Triumph dealer and staring at my favorite looking bikes and thinking what I could do with them. I won't be able to get a new one, but there's no hurry especially as there doesn't seem to be too many about. Not ones I like at a price I can afford anyway.

Just thought I would introduce myself before I start to look around the place.

So hi, I'm Sean.

• Like Like x 3
  2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    welcome in Sean, nice intro. Good luck with the MOD2.
    I assume its a 900 efi thruxton youre looking at? Lovely choice!!

3. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Thank you Crispey. And yep, it'll probably be a black Thruxton 900. Thats what I've got my heart set on anyway. I do like the ones with the racing stripe through the middle. Been looking for a couple of weeks in all the usual places but so far I've only seen one that fit the bill but that was about 250 miles away ...

Girlfriend and baby didn't fancy popping to Hull and back with me just to look at a bike I couldn't even ride :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Ha! Very true.

Sadly I do have to set some limits though. I've thought about going down the finance route but really don't want to be paying over the odds for something. Depends what I can get for the old Van Van as well really.

5. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Youre right, just had a look on bike sites and not many close to this neck of the woods. They seem to have gone up in value too!! One thing to be aware of, a big service comes up at 12000 miles so make sure if its over that its had that and if not factor in the cost at around £600

6. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    No there isn't is there. I found one at a good price which was only a few miles away from me (I could of walked it!) It was black, one 'mature' owner and not too many miles on the clock. Perfect I thought! Until I saw that the stripe through the middle of the tank was a checkered one, and that was that :(

Ah thanks for the heads up about the service. I'm guessing it's more involved than being able to do it yourself? I've got quite accustomed to taking the van van apart. Although I've made plenty of muck ups along the way :eek:

7. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Its seemingly not that difficult if you know your way around bikes. I went to a dealer to have it done and that made my mind up, no more dealers for me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
  9. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Hi Sean,

Good luck with your Mod 2!! I'm in and around Surrey so will be good to see you out and about once you find a Thruccy!

Matt

10. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    I have a good mechanic for anything 'too tricky' but the run-of-the-mill stuff I like to have a go. I enjoy it, the researching what/how to do it. Then getting all the bits and pieces together.

11. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Thanks Rich, I've seen that one and looked at it a few times. Initially I was tempted but I had my Van Van re-sprayed matte black and said never again after that!

I'd like to see the Barbour advert it says the bike was used in.

12. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Cheers Matt, and absolutely I'd be up for any local rideouts once I've got my hands on the new machine.

13. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Hi, and thanks for the welcome. I'm not too concerned about the mod 2. I already have the A1 and the mod 2 test is at the same test centre. I know the local area a bit more now as well. I've just got to put my 'test riding' head on and take my 'normal rider' head off for 40 minutes and I should be ok :)

Wish I didn't have to wait a week to take it mind you ...

14. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forum Sean
    Nice choice of bike the Thruxton, good luck in your search.
    'Loser' is a strange choice for a forum name ?

15. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Thanks Mick.

Already regretting the forum name. Bit of a running family joke from a few of us 'we're all losers ...' if I could change the name I would but hey at least it sticks out I guess! Oh well :confused:

16. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    You could always make light of it in your signature line.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    When's Mod 2 booked for?

My wife's got DAS booked for April and we're hoping to pick her up a Street Twin so if you see a Street twin and Scrambler riding around that's us!!

18. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Have you thought about getting a standard bonnie and "thruxtoning" it up?? There's a few good looking Bonnies around if you struggle to find a Thruccy?

19. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forum and good luck with the test.
    Agree with Chiari1 above - treat the examiner as a satnav and then pretend the police are following you!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Mod 2 booked for 2nd part of next week.

I'll keep an eye out for you both ;)

I've thought about it, but I quite like the Thruxton 'almost' as standard. Other than the tail tidy and different mirrors I think it looks pretty much perfect.