Featured 98 Gsx-r 750 Srad (injected) Mini Project...for Now...

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Vegan Flea, Dec 20, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Vegan Flea

Vegan Flea Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2020
    Norfolk
    #1 Vegan Flea, Dec 20, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    Back in 96 when I was 19 I bought a brand new GSX-R 750 using Suzuki's free TPFT insurance which was free when you used their finance. In 98 they ran the scheme again and so I bought another one, a 98 (now injected) version. I've owned a lot of new bikes but this was the only one I missed;

22170014.jpg

22170013.jpg

About 4/5 years ago I spotted one identical that had been stored for 14 years and had just 3500 miles from new. I made an offer which was accepted. It had already had its tyres renewed, I gave it a full service and stuck a 1000 miles on it within a week taking it to the TT and back.

This is it on Douglas sea front. All was well, but it did have a few bits on it that had suffered due to poor storage. The anodising had started to fail a little bit on the rough castings which got me thinking about stripping it and having the frame re-finished. Then, I thought, If I'm going that far....

3.JPG

• Like Like x 17
  2. Vegan Flea

Dec 18, 2020
    Norfolk
    #2 Vegan Flea, Dec 20, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    I decided that I would fully strip the bike, have the frame, sub-frame and swinging arm Cerakoted and then rebuild it with some significant improvements. I started compiling parts and bought;

GSX-R1000 K8 forks, yokes, brakes, wheels and wheel spindles.
    I stripped the forks, had the tubes mirror polished and then anodised gold, I then had then fork bottoms vapour blasted and Cerakoted. The whole lot was then dropped at MCT who rebuilt them with new springs, seals and valving to suit the SRAD. This has a triple benefit; 1) They look cool 2) They should improve the handling 3) They allow a much better brake set-up.
    The GSX-R 1000 wheels are much lighter than the SRAD wheels and so aid acceleration, turning, braking and handling. They look a bit nicer too.
    I found A NOS full Yoshi Tri-Oval System and Arrow rear-sets in Greece and snapped them up.
    I also found a cosmetically very good Ohlins rear shock. That will get a full rebuild.
    While all this was being brought together, I found a set of R1 calipers off a 200 mile bike which are much better and lighter than the GSX-R 1000 ones and so they came in and the Tokico's were eBayed.
    Some pics;

IMG_3927.jpg

New Doc 846_1.jpg

IMG_3925.JPG

IMG_4078.PNG

IMG_4020.JPG

IMG_4021.JPG

IMG_4022.JPG

Annodised Tubes & Caps.JPG

Cerakoted Fork Lowers 2.JPG

IMG_4087.JPG

• Like Like x 9
  3. Vegan Flea

Dec 18, 2020
    Norfolk
    From here my plan was to have the motor flowed, ported and maybe some cams and then when back together, the ECU re-flashed to suit that and the Yoshi system. Last was to have the the whole bike painted.

However, then I bought a building plot and am now in the process of selling and moving in to temporary accommodation while building a house. The last thing I need is a bike in a million pieces right now.

So the big plan has been put on hold and the parts mothballed. What I decided to do was; Cerakote any easily removable parts, fit the brand new tank (Which I bought right after buying the bike), fully service it again, change the brake hoses, pads, coolant hoses, chain and sproket set, rebuild the original forks with new seals and oil, new mirrors, fit a quick action throttle (again already had it) and new tyres. The end result will be a very tidy, fully fresh bike which will be a pleasure to use for the next couple of years before I unleash plan A on it.

I have made a start;

8 L Frame Before.JPG

9 L Frame After.JPG

This is where the frame anodising had started to fail, it will be Cerakoted in the future but for now I have soda blasted it and then treated with ACF-50. I'm pretty pleased with the improvement.

• Like Like x 10
  4. Vegan Flea

Dec 18, 2020
    Norfolk
    I'm a way in to it now - will upload some more soon. ;)

• Like Like x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Brilliant :cool:
    Keep the pictures coming :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Impressive work ! Watched thread from now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. alfie

alfie Getting older but still going for it
    Subscriber

Jan 27, 2018
    Bath, Zumerset
    Cracking job.

Alfie

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Baskey13

Baskey13 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Looking good. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Top quality work, pal.:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Hippo-Drones

Hippo-Drones Noble Member

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    Nice work so far :) Them SRADs are great bikes! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Honestly, the only thread i've set to watch!
    Great work (as already stated)!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Great pictures, nice work.
    Good luck :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Vegan Flea

Dec 18, 2020
    Norfolk
    Thank you for all the kind replies, I must admit that I didn't really expect anyone to be interested on here.

As I hinted at, I'm a little way ahead of the above, I'll put an update on this evening, bear with me. I would have put more on last night but I was having issues with picture sizes, probably as most of them were taken on my camera. I take tons of pictures to help remember the orientation of things - my memory doesn't work anymore...:confused:

Standby...

• Like Like x 6
  14. Vegan Flea

Dec 18, 2020
    Norfolk
    If you get some pictures without explanation, it's because I'm just pulling it all about and trying to edit it etc...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Vegan Flea

Dec 18, 2020
    Norfolk
    #15 Vegan Flea, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    After the soda blasting it was time to strip the bike of all the parts to be Cerakoted.

P1040940r.jpg

P1040946r.jpg

Head fairing, headlight, clocks removed to get to the fairing support bracket which had started to flake.

IMG_5460r.jpg

Side panels, forks, wheel and mudguard off, top yoke still in position. I ran it up to temperature like this to thin the oil prior to draining it, prior to removing the engine cases.

P1040967r.jpg

P1040968r.jpg

Engine cases pulled as was the top yoke. I gathered all the parts to be Cerakoted together and stripped the fuel filler down to every last piece...and then lost the 2mm ball bearing that locates the little key flap... Thank goodness for eBay.

I only really take pictures as a reminder to me, I have already re-fitted the yoke and engine cases but have taken some pictures of a couple of finished cerakoted parts before and after so you can see the detail of the finish. I love this stuff, it's as hard wearing as powder coat but doesn't have a podgy finish and doesn't blow. It will chip but it chips like paint and the edges of the chip will stay stuck firmly to the base metal. I like it because you can use it on parts with very fine tolerances and it won't muck up the fitment because it adds just microns to the surface thickness. It's also a thermal heat barrier and is oil and chemical resistant. What you need to bear in mind is that because it's such a thin finish, it won't hide ANY surface imperfections. If you notice less weld spatter on the side stand, that's only because I ground it off prior to coating. NB; The fork bottoms above have also been Cerakoted. Anyway, pics;

IMG_5461.jpg

P1040978r.jpg

IMG_5463.jpg

**IGNORE THESE LAST TWO PICTURES, THEY ARE REPEATED FROM ABOVE BUT I CANNOT DELETE THEM**

P1040967r.jpg

P1040968r.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  16. Vegan Flea

Dec 18, 2020
    Norfolk
    If you look carefully you can see some very faint pock marks on the black piece. Both inner and outer parts have been coated. I should have corrected the pock marks with wet and dry, but it is very minor. I mention it purely to reiterate, this stuff is superb but it hides NOTHING!!

P1050129r.jpg

P1050130r.jpg

P1050131r.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  17. Vegan Flea

Dec 18, 2020
    Norfolk
    #17 Vegan Flea, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    Some side stand before and afters;

P1040974r.jpg

P1050132r.jpg

P1040975r.jpg

P1050133r.jpg

I went for matt finishes instead of gloss, mainly as I forgot to ask for satin...which is what the fork bottoms are further up in this thread. Regardless, they look fine but it's no big deal to have them done again in the future if I decide to when I give the bike the full plan A.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Vegan Flea

Dec 18, 2020
    Norfolk
    Both engine cases had evidence of poor storage;

P1040971r.jpg

This is the all the parts that have been Cerakoted just prior to being packed off;

P1040983r.jpg

This lot was £132.50 including return postage.

• Like Like x 6
  19. Vegan Flea

Dec 18, 2020
    Norfolk
    With the forks out of the bike I was able to remedy the leaking fork seal. New seals and fork oil from Wemoto, the old oil was reassuringly clean.

P1040993r.jpg

P1040995r.jpg

P1040998r.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  20. Vegan Flea

Dec 18, 2020
    Norfolk
    #20 Vegan Flea, Dec 22, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    I couldn't really do much with the bike while waiting for the return of the Cerakoted parts. This was mainly because the engine was not sealed and the bike was still caked in soda from the blasting process. What I did do though was cleaned up all the gasket faces and thoroughly degreased them ready for new gaskets and a sniff of ultra grey sealant.

IMG_5490.jpg

Once I had the Cerakoted parts back I refitted the engine cases, top yoke and forks to seal the engine and get it back on it's wheels so I could deal with the soda blasting. The more I took off the bike the more I realised that soda gets everywhere and the more the it looked like El Chapo had used it for his Deliveroo service;

P1050085r.jpg

P1050089r.jpg

P1050094r.jpg

P1050095r.jpg

Henry hoover did his best;

P1050121r.jpg

• Like Like x 6