Sprint 955i Tps Fault

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Lyndon Saun, Jun 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Lyndon Saun

Lyndon Saun New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    Uk South Wales
    Hello all
    I think my throttle position sensor is playing up and would like to replace it. In the Haynes manual it says that it has to be set up using the triumph diagnostic tool at the dealers. Is this correct or is there a way I can do it myself. Help would be appreciated

2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Yes, Tuneecu is the way to go.
    Whereabouts are you based Lyndon? There could be a member near you who could help.
    Welcome to the forum btw :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    What’s making you think that the TPS is playing up?

4. Lyndon Saun

Lyndon Saun New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    Uk South Wales
    Thanks for the replies I will look into the tune ecu but please read below and see what you think.

The bike runs really rough under 2500 rpm and is like a kangaroo but only under load, at standstill it is fine and ticks over fine but as soon as you move off it’s like it’s misfiring badly. When riding once over 2500rpm it runs perfectly.

I have a power commander iii on the bike and when I connect it to the pc it shows the throttle position (as well as the leds on the pc3 itself) When I twist the throttle the indicator goes up and down with a few seconds delay which it hasn’t done before; it’s usually instantaneous with throttle movement. Also when I go to full throttle it goes up slowly to 108% and when I let go it slowly decreases to different levels up and down
    If I flip the throttle and let the butterfly’s slam down on the throttle bodies it then behaves properly and throttle response on pc is instantaneous for a while until it happens again and I have to flip the throttle hard again
    I have dis connected the pc3 and the bike still runs rough so it can’t be the pc3. This is why I think it could be the TPS.
    I had thought about it being the stepper motor but wouldn't it misfire all the time and not just under load?
    Any suggestions are welcome.
    I have changed the plugs and put in fresh fuel but no difference.
    Thanks again

5. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    The TPS has as standard an O ring behind it which has been known to cause problems not unlike what you’re describing. It might be worth taking it out and seeing if it improves things.
    Problem is you’ll need to set the TPS after you refit it. For this you’ll need Tuneecu to read the TPS voltage which you need to set to 0.6V +/- 0.05V.
    The high idle and rough low speed running could point to problems with the idle circuit, hose leaks, throttle body gasket leaks etc. I’d check the IACV hoses for splits first.
    It’d be useful if you could tell us the details of your bike too, model year, mileage etc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lyndon Saun

Lyndon Saun New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    Uk South Wales
    Thanks freck
    My bike is a red 2000 sprint 955 ST with 25k. Standard motor except for the triumph race carbon can and the pc3. I have removed the clip ons and fitted renthal bars (as I’m 6’4) which is more comfortable for me. It also has a nitron rear shock. I’ve had it 9 years now and this is the first major problem I’ve had! The one other issue I have is the plastic tank has distorted (I took it off for maintenance and it ended up being off the bike for a week and then it distorted) and is a nightmare to fit as I think it’s grown longer lol, something to do with the ethanol in the petrol so I’ve read?

I have ordered a tuneecu cable today so I will do as you say and check the o ring on the TPS, check the stepper motor hoses, and then refit the dreaded fuel tank lol

Thanks again, I’ll give an update when done.

7. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Yes, the ethanol problem is common, I always put Super Unleaded in mine because of it. My current tank is hard to fit onto the front mounts.
    I’ve also bought another tank which I’m going to seal with Flowliner before it’s repainted to protect against any future problems.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lyndon Saun

Lyndon Saun New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    Uk South Wales
    Here’s what I found
    I connected the bike to tuneecu and saw that the TPS was giving the correct voltage as freck has said The power commander 3 was still the same as before with the leds seeming to have a few seconds delay on moving when the throttle was moved and it was also sticking for longer periods now and again.
    I decided to remove the power commander completely from the bike (last time I removed the injector plugs but not the wire going to the bikes TPS). After wrestling with refitting the fuel tank which was the hardest part lol the bike now runs fine!!
    I can only think that the pc3 wire joining to the bikes TPS wire must have been the problem some how?
    One question I have is on tuneecu when I go on full throttle the display only shows 76% but I know it’s fully open, is this a normal thing?
    Thanks all

9. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Yes that’s normal, I did read somewhere once the reason why but can’t think what it was now :p
    Good to hear you’ve got it running right again. :grinning:

10. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    Lyndon now you have it running right, why not try a couple of the different tunes for your bike that are on the tunecu site it may make the bike better again. :)

11. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    Lyndon now you have it running right, why not try a couple of the different tunes for your bike that are on the tunecu site it may make the bike better again. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Did you know with tuneecu you can suck the files/map out of the power commander and overlay it in to the current map in the ecu and reflash the ecu with the updated map ! I've done this with my 2009 Bonneville America , I have done a big bore kit with high compression pistons and kept std cam's with cylinder head ported and polished , got the bike dyno tuned with pc111 attached , put the tune into my ecu. It's much better for the bike I recon. It's fairly easy to do.

Cheers capt

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Lyndon Saun

Lyndon Saun New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    Uk South Wales
    Thanks all
    I will try a tune from the site as it is running a bit uneven at lower revs, which it always did before pc3 anyway. When I get some time I’ll download one for modified exhaust on tuneecu website and give it a go. Thanks for the info on pc3 capt. I’ll keep that in mind. I’m going to try the tuneecu map first and see how I get on but good to now I have a backup plan!!

• Like Like x 2
  14. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I’ve just downloaded a map from the Tuneecu site to my Daytona, one modified for an aftermarket exhaust (Akra) and air filter. It’s made quite a bit of difference with much smoother idle, better low rpm drive and less tendency to cut out when coming to a stop.
    I’d certainly recommend you try one for yours Lyndon :)

15. Lyndon Saun

Lyndon Saun New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    Uk South Wales
    I m going to download the 10078 map for tor’s exhaust. When I have downloaded it to my Ecu do I do the TPS reset straight after this(ignition off then back on and do a TPS reset) or do I need to get the engine up to temp first and then do the reset? Thanks freck

16. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Do the TPS reset, then you need to do an adaptation cycle.
    After you’ve downloaded the map and done the reset, disconnect Tuneecu, turn off the ignition.
    Wait 2 minutes then ignition on, start the bike without touching the throttle and let it idle until the fan kicks in.
    Leave it idling for another 12 minutes at least without touching the throttle, then you’re good to go and ride.
    The adaptation resets your fuelling trims and will then relearn and trim the fuelling as you ride. :grinning:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lyndon Saun

Lyndon Saun New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    Uk South Wales
    Thanks freck I will do as you say. Appreciate all your help

18. CommanderCodyCD

CommanderCodyCD New Member

Apr 13, 2020
    The North
    does a 2014 triumph Bonneville T100 have this same O-ring problem? I am currently having problems with my TPS reading all sorts of different voltage and the throttle percentage is not showing anything it remains at zero percent.

thanks