955 Speed Triple front brakes

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Thunder 990, Jul 5, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Thunder 990

Thunder 990 New Member

Dec 16, 2014
    I have an 04 speed triple and am not happy with the front brakes, they seem to lack feel and there seems to be a lot of movement at the lever. The pads have plenty of meat on them, I have changed the fluid and bled them countless times, I even bought a vacuum bleeding kit but there still seems to be a lot of movement at the lever before anything happens. They are powerful enough when they do come on but on my other two bikes there is less lever action by comparison. I only use two fingers usually but I have fitted a pair of dog leg levers and because of the shape of them the lever is touching my other two fingers by the time the brakes start working. Is this just how they are or has anyone got any ideas how to improve them?

Thanks.

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi there Thunder, I understand that you believe that it's not the pads that are at fault, but it's a classic case of low pad depth to me. Have you actually had the pads out, just to be sure?

3. Thunder 990

Thunder 990 New Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Hi Dave,

OK, I took the pads out the other night and as I thought they don't look bad, there's only 14k miles on the bike so even if they are the originals it's not a lot. Anyway a mate of mine has just traded his Sprint ST in for a ZZR14 and had a new full set of EBC pads front and rear for the Triumph which he didn't get round to fitting, he's let me have them for thirty quid, which is cheap enough, so I will change them anyway and see if it makes any difference. To be honest I'll be surprised if it cures it as I've never noticed a marked difference in the feel at the lever on other bikes when the pads get low, but I am more than happy to be proved wrong ! I'll let you know.

4. Gazmo65

Gazmo65 New Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ive got a 1999 speed triple and my front brakes are the same and the mastercylinder has been rebuilt, I think it is just an inherent problem with these bikes. There is no lack of stopping power it is more a case of theres a lot of movement in the lever compared to my last bike syndrome. My lad has a Kawasaki er6f and his lever has a more solid feel to it but the bike doesn't stop any quicker than mine it is just the feel. I have had my front wheel squeal on one occasion when a car pulled out on me so no problem with the performance, I have got some HH pads all round, as for the rear brake I expect the bike to fail its MOT with that but its passed the last 3 it doesn't inspire confidence and ive stripped it a couple of times and cleaned it but no difference, I may try the Kawasaki rear master cylinder change this winter.

5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Thunder, any more news on your braking problem?

6. Thunder 990

Thunder 990 New Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Hi Dave,

Sorry I've not been back on to update on the brake problem I've been busy with other things. Anyway I took the old pads out wiped the pistons clean and syringed some fluid out of the reservoir then pushed all the pistons in as far as they would go. Then I fitted the new HH pads and topped the fluid up, pumped the lever a few times and hey presto the brakes are as sharp as you like, very little lever travel, great feel and loads of stopping power, so it looks like you have helped me out again! What I don't understand is that on my Aprilia the pads have 30k miles on them and there is no lack of feel or excessive lever travel, it was the same on my Kawasaki Versys I changed the pads at 30 odd K and they still felt OK. I suppose it's a case of each system is different, that's all I can put it down to, whatever it was I am more than happy with the brakes now, thanks for your help again.

Brian.

• Like Like x 2