94 Triumph Tiger 885 Aka 900 And Steamer

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Simon Logan, Aug 19, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Simon Logan

Simon Logan Active Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Sutton Coldfield - UK
    Afternoon all. Any air filter experts here as the air filter replacment on this bike does seem a little complex. Local shop tell me the entire air filter box must be replaced not just the air filter itself. Can that be right or do they mean its a pig to get out and may damage the air filter box ? It looks to me as though the carbs need to come out to get the air filter box out then the air filter box is held together with screws which need to be removed to get at the air filter ?

2. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Hi (again!) Simon.

The airboxes on these - and pretty much all T300 triples - was designed as a 'consumable' item .... that is to say that it was meant to be replaced as a complete unit at service intervals. As you're probably aware, these are no longer available as replacement units so most owners do open them up and use the K&N filter like this https://www.triumphparts.co.uk/product/trident-trophy-sprint-daytona-900-k-n-air-filter-element/

Be aware that the screws may eventually fail to grip - they're a kind of self-tapper running into nylon/plastic - so you may need to start using a silicone type sealant around the joint between the airbox halves. It's worth having a spare, used air box so that you could swap between the two.

Edit :- forgot to mention that the carbs don't have to come out (if I remember correctly .... long time ago since I did one) but they aren't a simple "remove and replace" type operation. It's easier to remove the snorkels and wiggle the airbox backwards if you can. Plenty of WD40; swearing & bruised knuckles should see you through the job.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Simon Logan

Jun 13, 2020
    Sutton Coldfield - UK
    Hi Adie, so the shop was right....thanks. I have an inspection camera for my iphone for looking in to obscured spaces so will see what condtion the filter is like and leave it alone if it looks ok. However this is was what I found when I went to change the brake/clutch fluid so it wouldn't surprise me if the air filter is well past its sell by date

IMG_0473.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    EEEEUUUUUUWWW! DEFINITELY worth buying a replacement airbox, I'd say.

According to this

https://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/th-2202002t0301

they're available and in stock? I might have to try that, too!

5. Simon Logan

Jun 13, 2020
    Sutton Coldfield - UK
    Ironically I had just found the Wemoto web page for the airbox when your note about it came through.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steamerblue

Steamerblue Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2019
    exeter
    Call me a skinflint but I pulled my airbox apart and blew all the dust out with an airline, then glued it all back together again with mastic. Some screws came out, some didn't, so a bit of heat and persuasion needed to get it all apart. At that time filters weren't easily available at a reasonable price which made the decision for me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    I wouldn't call you a skinflint, or if I did it would be as a synonym for sensible!

It's probaly worth having a spare (used, maybe?) all freshened up and ready to go. It would also serve for when the original eventually fails - as you've found the screws sometimes fail either in or out!

• Like Like x 1