900 Street Taking Over Speed Twin Name... Thoughts On T100 Ownership

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by 45Brit2017, Jun 18, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. 45Brit2017

45Brit2017 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2017
    UK
    So, I see the Street and T100 ranges seem to be converging. I'm not particularly surprised.

I do like the look of the new "900 Speed Twin". If a bike was going to get me to change my present Bonneville T100, that would be it.

I did like the new 900 Street when I test rode it. Much more like a Meriden Triumph than the Bonneville range, TBH. The T100 was a smaller, lighter machine than the Bonneville/TR6 twins, after all

Would I change? Don't know. I didn't like the "ironing board" seat, but that is replaced now. I'm not fond of the "fly by wire" throttle which is still jerky in traffic. The bike is still bigger than I really like. The finish however remains very good, with no significant corrosion and that, more than anything puts me off buying a new one - the reports of poor finish on modern bikes. I rode the new Royal Enfield and liked it; it also has a 270 deg crank. Is the new Triumph Street really £2k better considering it isn't really a British made machine any more?

2. SteveXFR

SteveXFR Member

Apr 24, 2022
    Somerset
    The Triumphs are definitely worth more than the Royal Enfields. Quality of finish is definitely better on the Triumphs (though it's not bad on the RE) plus the Triumph is more powerful. The RE twins get excellent reviews and seem like excellent value.
    Whether it's worth an extra £2k or not I'm not sure.

3. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Interesting to see the reference to poor finish on modern machines. I bought my Street Triple R in October last year and more recently had to remove the rear hugger to look for an errant bolt that had gone awol.

The hugger is fixed with 4 button head Allen screws and the head of each one showed signs of corrosion which was removed with a metal polish. At this time the bike only had about 600 miles on the clock with no wet riding.