Featured 77/78 Triumph Bonneville Restoration Build (my Inheritance)

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Danisadude, Dec 6, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. uselesstony

uselesstony New Member

Dec 9, 2017
    France
    Hello, interesting thread you are doing. How have you got on with the rebuild so far?
    I saw someone commented to you about putting an external oil filter on, did you do it ?

2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Great project. I have an ongoing rebuild my self. Things I would if you are stripping then clean out the Sludge trap on the crank alought with your miles it should be fairly clean and my Jubilee I have fitted a Charlie's oil filter that replaces the mesh one in the frame it does work a lot better and with todays oils should not need a strip for many years and yes like some one said the t140 bonnie and tr7 bonnie share 99% per cent of the parts just carbs and air filter boxes. Be aware if you change the filter for canister type never fit an oil cooler unless you upgrade the oil pump for a four valve as the two valve is not man enough to run the both. If you change the oil pump then you need a later type timing case or have yous milled out to take it. Also pick up any classic mag its full of dealers still around for the triumph / bsa's. You will have no trouble finding bits and to now I have not met one that doesn't want to help or give advice.
    Good Luck
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Having stripped your engine make sure you remove the sludge trap and clean it out, you will req a new trap and screw as they usually get destroyed on removing them. This is probably the most important part of the rebuild.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Just wondered how you were getting on with your Silver Jubilee bonnie.
    Regards
    Joe.

5. Danisadude

Danisadude Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Wolvertrampton
    Long time no update for this sorry peeps. Im going to be honest, i kinda came to a halt with it, other projects and ideas sort of took over my winter/spring.

Im now at the point in this build where im scared, ive got the engine stripped down, but dont have the tools or the knowledge to take the bottom piece apart to get at the internals, I really dont want to put it back together without sorting the sludge trap.

So im currently looking for somebody in the West Midlands who i trust enough to take it apart and rebuild it for me, who seems interested. I have contacted two companies in Wolverhampton, and one basically said he wasnt interested, and the other one is never there when i call to book it in.

So any suggestions on restoration companies that arnt a million miles from me? Im not looking to spend a fortune, i have all new gaskets etc already purchased, i just dont have anything to remove the clutch and chain etc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Have a look at www.meridenmotorcycles.co.uk whose advert I spotted in the July edition of Classic Bike Guide. I know nowt about them, but on paper they would seem to fit the bill for what you want and they aren't a million miles from you. If I spot any others I'll let you know.