765rs Quickshifter Issues

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Archiitect, Jan 14, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Archiitect

Archiitect New Member

Jan 14, 2023
    United Kingdom
    #1 Archiitect, Jan 14, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    Hey all, I am looking for some advice. I purchased my first 765RS in June 2022, so I have had it for around 6 months. It was a second hand bike with about 9.5K miles on it at the time of purchase.

It is a 2018 model.

It has been fantastic, until recently.

I was on a group ride with some buddies of mine on Christmas Eve, during our return phase of the trip home we pulled over for a quick stretch of the legs. Got back on the bike, started up fine. Got 20 seconds down the road, the quick shifter had completely stopped working and the bike then developed some form of fuelling issue (which I assume was from the sensor cutting the ignition) on a cycle that I would say was every 2-4 seconds randomly.

I had the bike recovered from AA, as I was still around 80 miles from home and didn't want to risk causing any damage to the bike. It sat for a couple of days over Christmas and I decided to take it for a test ride on 27th-28th to see if it still had an issue.

The quick shifter was intermittently working, but thankfully no fuelling issue or ignition cutting going on. A few days later, the QS rod actually snapped.

I have resolved that issue with a brand new rod, it was all fitted correctly and everything reconnected just fine.

I took it for it's first test ride since fitting the new rod, and it worked perfectly. For all of an hour to an hour and half. The shifts were fine, didn't feel clunky or stuck, felt brand new.

Stopped off during a meet-up with some friends, got back on the bike and lo and behold, the quick shifter has died again. Sometimes it will work but you really need to give it quite some force to get it to activate, sometimes it won't work at all.

Something odd I have noticed, I can now clutch less downshift with ease, the bike NEVER used to do that before this issue started. It feels almost like the quick shifter has altered from just an upshift mechanism, to now just a downshift mechanism.

When the shifter does work, it feels incredibly clunky and resistant to work. It's driving me crazy!

Triumph support have been quite frankly useless in helping me troubleshoot this issue, unless of course you're willing to spend hundreds of pounds just for them to plug it in and send you on your way. However, I am determined to get to the bottom of this issue.

I don't think the sensor is faulty either, otherwise it wouldn't work intermittently. This is honestly driving me crazy as I just want the bike to work as intended.

Any advice at all would really be appreciated.

2. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    You don’t say what year it is.

You say “Something odd I have noticed, I can now clutch less downshift with ease, the bike NEVER used to do that before this issue started. It feels almost like the quick shifter has altered from just an upshift mechanism, to now just a downshift mechanism.” If it’s the same shift assist I have on my 2021 R then it has never worked correctly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Archiitect

Archiitect New Member

Jan 14, 2023
    United Kingdom
    Apologies, I have put an edit in the original post. It is a 2018 model. It does not have TSA.

4. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    One of my bikes is very much the same model as yours @Archiitect .
    68 plate 765rs. Purchased at 200 miles and now just over 10k.
    The qs on these are only designed to be an upshifter (up and down is the next model 2021 onwards).
    Mine has performed faultlessly and any wrong shifts have been my own fault, generally too light a prod on the lever.

You are aware that they are designed to be used only OVER 4000rpm ( I think) aren't you?

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Ah! Hadn’t realised that it was an upshift only and was not entirely familiar with the Hinkley bikes until I bought my STR in late 21. Even without any electronic aid up shifts should not be a problem on any constant mesh box. Have been doing it on my totally analogue Ducati for the last twenty years.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Yes as I have done also, usually on enduro 2 strokes, no QS or other aids.

Must say my 765 QS really has/does perform perfectly. The only times it hasn't worked flawlessly is when either I've been going steady and focusing on traffic etc or I've altered my usual position because of carrying a passenger resulting in a slower or weaker pull on the gearlever.

7. Archiitect

Archiitect New Member

Jan 14, 2023
    United Kingdom
    2500rpm, yes. However the RPM is irrelevant to the issue I am experiencing.

8. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Architect, first of all the quickshifter on your 2018 model RS is upshift only, the quickshifter/auto blipper did not appear until the 2020 model. There has been a number of Street Triples with quickshifter problems, these vary from sticking in gear whilst changing from second to third gear, the problem is a failure in the electronics inside the sealed unit of the quickshifter. Translogic make and supply these for Triumph, normally these Translogic units work fantastically well, as said however a number of Street/Speed Triples have malfunctioned. As i see it you have 2 options (1) replace with an OEM unit (new or second hand) although the latter affords you no warranty, or (2) purchase the superior HM quickshifter, I replaced the OEM quickshifter on my sons Ducati Panigale 1299s who had similar issues, the transformation is amazing, even though Ducati are on the third generation quickshifter, the HM outclasses this in every respect, whilst not cheap it is worth the outlay in my opinion. Your machines quickshifter is definitely not designed to work on downshifts, and if used as such will potentially cause damage, unlike cars motorcycle gearboxes do not have synchromesh, they have straight cut gears. I placed a lengthy post on the forum a long while back, I have placed a link that hopefully fully explains the quickshifter, the people at HM can be contacted by phone for advice, they are about the most knowledgeable regarding the subject out there. Hope this helps. Ride safe all from an ageing (but not a luddite) Rocker.
    https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesoci...torcycle-quickshifters-are-they-safe-how-work

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  9. Archiitect

Archiitect New Member

Jan 14, 2023
    United Kingdom

Thank you for your reply, I have dealt with HM before so I am aware of their products and I will most likely replace with one of those. Do you know if my 18 model has capacity to up and downshift? I would quite like to upgrade if I can. If not, I'll stick with just up.

10. Bloodknot

Bloodknot New Member

Jan 18, 2022
    Buckinghamshire
    Having read the article that Iceman gave the hyperlink to I think the prerequisite is fly by wire.

11. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Architect, yes the HM unit will give you up/down quickshifts with no modifications required, or any ECU flashing, your machine has ride by wire throttle as standard, you won't regret fitting one and it will transform gear changing to seamless.

12. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Architect, yes the HM unit will give you up/down quickshifts with no modifications required, or any ECU flashing, your machine has ride by wire throttle as standard, you won't regret fitting one and it will transform gear changing to seamless.