765r Camchain Tensioner

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by David Bysh, Jan 6, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David Bysh

David Bysh New Member

Jul 28, 2021
    Uckfield East Sussex
    Some time ago, I posted a thread regarding my 2018 765 Street triple R and its noisy camchain tensioner at startup.
    Noisy for approx 30 secs, then goes quiet.
    Anyone else had the same issue, and how did you fix it.

2. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Are you sure it's the chain tensioner?
    The one on my triple is a simple spring loaded type that does not need oil pressure to operate.
    Unless the one on a 765 is a different design to the 1050.

3. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi David, it is hydraulic operated, a new replacement cam chain tensioner Spring for use in the cam chain tensioner housings should sort out the issue, is yours a black or silver coloured tensioner, from VIN 503519 to 508231 these have the silver coloured adjuster fitted. To check how much your cam chain tensioner spring may have compressed, a new Triumph spring measures 36mm in length. Replacement of the spring is a cheaper option than replacing the complete tensioner assembly. The tensioner has to be removed to fit a new spring, there are x 2 spring clips on the tensioner, the rear spring in the tensioner slot if pulled together will allow the plunger to be completely removed to change the spring, the front clip is used to hold the plunger fully in for reassembly. When the plunger is compressed, the front clip can be pulled together with long nose pliers to locate in the groove near the tip of the plunger. The cost of a replacement spring is roughly £12 plus postage. It sounds to me as though your tensioner spring is a little weak, I take it your machine is out of warranty, if not take it back to the dealer for a replacement tensioner.

• Like Like x 1