765 Rs Clutch Travel

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Tony Green, Nov 21, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tony Green

Tony Green New Member

Sep 25, 2022
    Bradford
    I have a triumph 765 rs when letting the clutch lever out it bites rite at the very end of the lever stroke is this normal to have so little travel on the biting point

Thanks Tony

2. NC35

NC35 New Member

Jul 15, 2021
    Up North
    Mine is the same. I hate it tbh.
    Hopefully someone has a suggestion, though l am going to mention this at the stralers

3. NC35

NC35 New Member

Jul 15, 2021
    Up North
    OK,
    Firstly I take absolutely no responsibility if this goes wrong. I am simply explaining what I have just done and achieved.
    So, had me thinking. I've only had the STRS for just over 24 hrs. I didn't enjoy the ride as much as I should as the clutch was more of an "On / Off" switch. No way of feathering it or holding it on a hill. No idea how I didn't stall on the way home.
    Clutch adjustment. The workshop manual suggests 2mm of travel at the clutch leaver pivot before the cable engages.
    I started by loosening the locking wheel on the cable adjuster at the leaver end. Then the locking nut (12mm spanner) at the clutch end of the cable.
    Back to the adjuster at the leaver end, I turned it clockwise reducing the visable thread. I kept trying the feel of the clutch leaver while adjusting.
    With a bit of fine tuning I have approximately 2mm of travel and a lovely feeling clutch.
    Not forgeting to nip up both the locking wheel & nut before finishing.
    I haven't been out for a test ride yet. Though I have given the bike its first bath and quickly tested the clutch riding back into the garage.
    Fingers crossed for the next ride out.

4. Tony Green

Tony Green New Member

Sep 25, 2022
    Bradford

5. Tony Green

Tony Green New Member

Sep 25, 2022
    Bradford
    Thanks for the replys, I also found if you screw in the adjuster at the lever end all way in and adjust the clutch at the casing end, the acceleration is very linear and a bit more clutch control, not had the opportunity to test properly, but the signs are promising, triumph are pretty useless they just say it's a characteristic of the bike. Had to put her away for the winter, if I have success I will definitely repost my findings, acceleration should be linear, and gear change smooth, too much adjustment definitely causes clutch slip, so I think it's a fine balance. The best way I've found is to take 2 x 12mm spanners out with me and adjust incrementally, while riding.

Good luck guys and thanks for the advice.

Tony