6v Ignition Coil Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by Boggie, Jun 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Boggie

Boggie New Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Buckinghamshire
    Hi all,

I am replacing all my ignition system. New plugs, leads, caps etc ordered but I am struggling a bit in trying to choose coils so am looking for advice please.

The modern 1&7/8" Lucas 6v coils (made in India) get a bit of bad press around reliability. Whilst I want to retain originality, I am not too precious when it comes to sensible upgrades. E.G. the bike has a Boyer electronic ignition. I want to replace my coils with reliable and ideally higher powered (to allow a bigger gap / spark) coils of the same size and connections.

Any recommendations on coils available in the UK please?

Thanks
    Ian

2. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    What bike and is it running a 6v charging system or is it a triple?
    Boyer states that coils should be between 3 and 7 ohm resistance so any coil that fits that criteria should be OK whether it be single or twin output.

3. Boggie

Boggie New Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Buckinghamshire
    Thanks for the fast reply. It is a 79 T140e Bonneville. It has the original 2x 6v coils (wired in series). Problem I have is identifying reliable high-quality new coils to replace the old ones. Any recommendations please?

4. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    That would have been right for the original RITA ignition amplifier but if you have now fitted a Boyer Branson unit the 6v coils will likely be the wrong resistance for it so this may be the problem, coils are much the same when output is concerned and the primary resistance will play a part if too low it can damage the amplifier and reduce spark output.

5. Boggie

Boggie New Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Buckinghamshire
    #5 Boggie, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Interesting, thanks. I didn't know that.
    Both of my coils LT side measure 1.9ohms, so that is 3.8ohms total.

6. Boggie

Boggie New Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Buckinghamshire
    I have opted for the Trispark coils. Will fot them and report back.
    Thanks all!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Boggie

Boggie New Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Buckinghamshire
    So, I checked the HT circuit. There were resistor caps and resistor plugs, doubling resistance to 8.5k ohms, and the HT leads were also quite tired. So I replaced with new high'quality cables, non-resistor plug caps, new coil caps and new non-resistor plugs, then retested. Better regularity of spark but still not great distance jumping (only the lowest 1mm gap on my tester at atmospheric pressure).

So I bought a pair of high-power Trispark coils and fitted them. Now the spark is jumping 5mm easy so, after some rough calculations, I opened the plug gaps to 0.35 for a bigger spark and refitted everything.

Bingo! Whilst she is still a little challenging to start cold (I am told this is not unusual but I may experiment with the enrichment jet sizing in future), she now starts warm very easily and 1st time, every time! I only have to tickle the kickstart now :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Yes a lot of the earlier electronic ignition systems like the RITA do not like resistance in the HT side...not sure about the Boyer though, later ignitions are made to have higher HT resistance to avoid radio signal interference etc.

9. Mark Davies

Mark Davies New Member

Oct 11, 2018
    England
    • Like Like x 1