Trident 69 Or 72 Triumph Trident

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by DonnieC, May 24, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DonnieC

DonnieC New Member

May 24, 2019
    Factoryville, Pa
    VIN help please. Barn find Trident.

I know how to decode a Triumph VIN.

Super confused on this one though.

Frame says: T150VGG03002
    Trident, 750cc, 5 speed, June, 1972 frame number

Engine says: T150VCC03002
    Trident, 750cc, 5 speed, March, 1969, frame number

Something is definitely wrong. To my knowledge the V means 5 speed and this wasn't even available in 69.

If it wasn't an all original Triumph what are the odds the VIN would be exact with the exception of the date code?

The only thing I can logically come up with is I know Triumph used special designations for competition C and police P models.

Any help would be awesome, thanks in advance.

Donnie

2. DonnieC

DonnieC New Member

May 24, 2019
    Factoryville, Pa
  3. Taff

Taff Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Cymru
    It could be a dyslexic meriden worker misreading the frame when he stamped the engine??

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    My theory is that the engine has had a new crankcase fitted during the course of a rebuild. The engine number has been stamped incorrectly - the frame number having been mis-read (CC for GG). The 'V' on the crankcase does not seem to match the 'V' on the frame, and some of the engine numbers are slightly out of line, the 5 in particular, although as the numbers were, apparently, hand stamped, then this will be no great surprise.
    Have you tried to find out how man gears it actually has? If you can rock the bike backwards and forwards on its wheels and try to select gears at the same time you should (hopefully) be able to see how many gears are in there (one down/four up, and yes the 'V' denotes 5 gears).

Please note that all the above could be total bollocks, brought to you by the insane ramblings of an old fart who thinks he can remember that far back, when really he should be tucked up in bed with a nice cup of cocoa.:yum SIGH! :confused:

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. DonnieC

DonnieC New Member

May 24, 2019
    Factoryville, Pa
    I have tried putting it through the gears and I believe it to be a 5 speed but can't say %100.

. I believe that the engines were stamped to match the frame at the time they were installed IN the frame, and they were definitely done by hand, so a mistake could have been made and then gone unnoticed, since C and G are so close to being alike. If it IS an error stamping, it would be sort of rare, I would think.

• Like Like x 1