69 120r

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Tibster, Feb 14, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    79-2092 are the 69 stanchions, threads are only diff i know of, first year 63 unit bikes had the old type fork with internal spring as in pre unit bikes and from 64/70 external spring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tibster

Tibster Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    Thanks darkman ! I had a new set of dustcover / seals thrown in as part of the bike buying negotiations , so in theoery they should be for a 69 and if they thread on I should be in buisness . They should arrive foday or tomorrow with luck , a biggish piece of the jigsaw that will be a relief to get my hands on .

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    My new sliders arrived today and seems like they are correct thankfully . One still had the cone thing in the bottom which I presume the seller couldnt get out easily enough , a little heat did the trick and saved me a tenner buying another , every bit helps as this bike needs a lot of parts !
    Bought a couple of rims today and planning on re chroming . Is the general viewpoint with new chromed wheels to rebuild with stainless spokes ?
    Thinking about my front brake drum today , what paint do people use which gives the best results and looks original , thoughts appreciated .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Stainless is the way to go if you are going to ride the bike as plated spokes die :-( any silver for the drum but not metallic sparkly ones :) i use 2 pack paint with low solids lacquer so as not to get to much paint on them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    Thanks darkman ,mucho appreciated stainless it is :) I Spent most of the day basting the frame and bits , more bits than I thought!
    Getting close now to my big first parts order ,quite a list . Am I right in thinking LF Harris are probably good bet for fork stantions , some sites seem to list a stantion and also a hard chrome more expense option any thoughts to if these are worthwhile ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Almost all stanchions are now plated. NOS parts if you can find them or Harris parts are your safest bet as a lot of online parts are rubbish. Lol its surprising just how many bits there are to paint black.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    Thanks , I am planning on a big parts order tomorrow and think I will go with the Harris stantions.
    I do have a question about the black paint , looking at pics online am I right in thinking everything uses the same full gloss but the oil tank looks glossier because it has been lacquered over for the decal. Blasting is just about finished so need to get some paint on soon :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    I just do all the black in solid and don't lacquer as the water slides are just applied over the paint as per factory, some people like to laquer over them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    One black it is :) . Hope I am ok asking all these questions , feel a bit of a pain . So todays question is regarding shocks , mine came with the earlier covered type which I quite like the look of but looking at the parts book they should be uncovered . Is this likely an added part when originals wore out or were some fitted using up parts at the factorey maybe . Most suppliers do not say what makes they are so presumanly cheap copies if so do people find they ride just fine and stand up to time or should I fit Hagons or an adjustable kind perhaps .

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    #50 darkman, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Rear shocks with covers are sometimes fitted to make the bike look older lol, the best replacement shock is the Hagon as it has the same adjuster platform as the original Girlings, the one issue you will have with the Hagons is the springs are longer making the lower platform sit lower down the shock body and they are also thicker so you have to bend the rear brake rod slightly to pass behind the shock.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Pic of original Girling shock as fitted to my 69 showing the longer body below the spring.
    IMG_1600.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  12. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Pic of a Hagon on my 70 bike showing the bends in rod to clear shock :)
    20181111_135414.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    Those Hagons look fine , do they ride noticeably better than stock though to justify the expense , I see Tricor Andy does some shocks , just says adjustable koni style shocks at £120 I may give him a call to find out more .

• Like Like x 2
  14. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Hagon are the correct shape and fantastic quality at only £140 .00 they can't be beat, i wouldn't fit them on my bikes if they weren't :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    Ok thats more than good enough for me thanks , Hagons now on the list :) its onky money after all o_O big parts order today so now beans o toast for a few weeks . I seem to remember a friend asking whats it going to cost in parts ? I think very naively and probably knowingly kidding myself about 1 or two k, need to revise that by 100% . But it will be a cracker I am sure :blush:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Now is the time get it right and be brave, there is a reason why most of the 8/10 grand restored bikes on sale are not moving and it's because when you phone up like i do for a laugh and ask what has been done you soon find out that it's not much, i even spoke to a dealer the other day about his 15 K restored bike that is far from original to be told a pack of lies as hearsay is no proof, do it right and keep bills and pic's of the build for a time in the future :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    Yes I am sure your right , I am giving this bike everything it could desire , every bearing , seal moving part is being replaced with best available that I am aware of . My main battle is with myself and originality , I fancy a few changes from original . Not much just small things , I may get a uk tank and paint that at the same time so I can see which I like , any changes I do could be easily put back to stock . I see this bike being a keeper so I want it to be right and compliment the garage .
    Should have some pics of painted parts soon . My brothers paint shop has been busy , but hoping to get some primer on today .
    Pistons were ordered yesterday so Should arrive tomorrow or today , which means I can take the crank,rods and piston to be dynamically balanced . The hold up was seeing if my old narrel would clean up but no joy so will have new cylinders and std pistons . Looking forward to getting crank back so I can get the engine back together .

• Like Like x 3
  18. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    If you satisfy that part of your head (sensible) by building to orig specs you can also then modify the bike later having the best of both worlds and addressing the other part of your head (not sensible) as well lol. That's how i do it:joy:

• Like Like x 2
  19. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    Had to think about that for a while ... but that could be an idea , I must stop looking at google images of bober type stuff its not helping :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    #60 Tibster, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    Yesterday I primered most of the frame and bits , a coat of lechler epoxy primer then some higher build on top quite a rust pits in this frame so today with a little stopper and most of the day wet flatting it’s nearly ready for the 2k black when I get the chance . I decided to wet paint everything you see hanging , leaving just a small number of other bits that will be powder coated foot pegs . . Should have a serious delivery of parts early next week !

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1