69 120r

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Tibster, Feb 14, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tibster

Tibster Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    Thanks darkman , on other matters I still havent built up my front wheel which is a right pain Cwc sending me wrong spokes twice so I am having to chase them again monday sorry tuesday to send correct ones .
    Still have the painting to finish on both guards and flash on tank . So still quite a bit to do. Also I am not very happy with the polishing of the engine outer cases, there are some over zelous wheel marks and some pitting showing . To be fair they were quite bad and i was only charged £40 but wish They charged 60 for 50% better job or more . I might sand them i a couple of places remove the worst marks and ask them to go over again .

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Regarding the pitting lots of the outer cases suffer from air bubbles in the castings so don't be surprised if some go and others return.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    Ahh ok , thanks for the tip , useful to know , will give some areas some 80 grit and see if I get to some uniform material , just glad it doesn't need anodising for a finish , those coroded pit marks are like the tip of an iceberg from experience .

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    Cases closed and timing gears timed :)

IMG_6987.JPG

IMG_6988.JPG

Fitted a new Harris pump too . Went to refit tappet blocks but none of the o rings in the Harris gasket set seemed the right size, too loose and I couldn't get them to slide in which was annoying so will try and track some down tomorrow .

• Like Like x 3
  5. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Just a precautionary, did you strip n clean pump as i do them all and have found edges that need deburring and swarf in them :-(

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    #206 Tibster, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019
    I must admit I didnt strip it completely I did take out the pistons and degreased as they were gummy with a waxy oil , oiled and put back , they looked ok to be fair . I did note they had slot outlet opening compared to the old one , I openned the gasket slightly as it was restricting opening very slightly .
    Side cover not on yet as bit undecided about its state of polish . Thanks for the advice ,think I will just undo the bottom two nuts on the pump to dbl check for any nasties tomorow .
    Pistons in today , ring gaps needed opening to 15 thou. All went smoothly after making a couple of ring compressors .

IMG_6992.JPG

I seem to be supplied with the wrong push rod tubes :confused: These are Harris chrome but I do wonder how long the chrome finish will last so thinking alley ones may have been a better option ?
    Think they should be like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-TRIU...763221&hash=item2ac8d5bf41:g:I6sAAOSwcUBYI0Lx

• Like Like x 1
  7. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Yep, early tubes. You need the one's in KBH pic's and you also need the wedding bands and 3rd seal that makes the crush up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    Cool will get them ordered up , rockers reassembled mines a 69 with notched rocker ends for oil , after a bit of research it seems mine were incorrectly fitted when I disassembled seems the thrust washers should face the rockers and the thackeries up against the aluminium casting if I have got it right that is .

IMG_6995.JPG

original assembly
    IMG_6662 (2).JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Common thing to see them fitted wrongly, yes washers go against the rocker to force oil out of the notches cut into rockers but you have to get 4 of the smaller washers like the rest.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    I need to put a smallish parts order in tomorrow as well as the washers for the rockers I had a look at the pushrods today , visually I think they dont look too bad , look to be straight and true ,ends uniform in wear .
    Are these generally replaced as a matter of course through fears of fatigue or should I be ok reusing ?

IMG_7016.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  11. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    Gearbox went back in ok , cant fit the kicker cover finally as missing a couple of casing dowls , its always the little thing that seem to hold things up , although CWC look to have finally come good with sending me the correct spokes for the front wheel . So thats another job to be got on with .

IMG_7015.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  12. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    If they are straight and not marked then original pushrods are a better bet than most of the rubbish out there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    Thanks Darkman , will give them a proper clean up and reuse

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Philb714

Philb714 Senior Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Hereford, UK
    I would check that you can't pull the ends off the pushrods (by hand only) before fitting them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    Thanks for that Phil , I gave them a spruce and clean today , glad to say they survived a pull test ! think they will be good to go .
    I need to do a little work to the head before I can fit them , I have had new valve seats installed but I need to blend the new seats to the ports before fitting the valves etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    Front wheel now built up , easier than the rear to lace somehow .

IMG_7023.JPG

IMG_7024.JPG

IMG_7025.JPG

IMG_7026.JPG

With both wheels built I fitted new the new K70's

7FC9B81F-C075-407D-A639-0357B3160EFF.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  17. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    Fitted some new brake shoes , seems the new ones come with a hardened cast in contact shim , the old shoes had a separate piece which was plated for no reason it turns out , not sure why they have done this tbh . The old end shim wont fit over the new so I assuming it must be redundant ?

60E76C78-5D06-4A6D-B7DA-57354A342729.jpeg

519CE4F9-3054-4C5D-810B-B40EFA4E3516.jpeg

0CB71C03-EAD1-42C4-9E15-E975073160A1.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  18. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Nice looking wheels :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    Excellent , they must be good ! I must admit I am pleased with them .Getting the tyres on wasn't as bad as I thought , not saying I never swore at all but plenty of washing liquid and the fact that a mate lent me some decent levers helped . Fitting the tyre locks was quite tricky but they are in . I understand now that after I had bought them they may not be necessary but it did have them before.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    I was wondering what the normal approach is with regards the stator and rotor.
    Are they considered reliable and rarely need replacing (I should be so lucky )
    Therefor just refit the original parts . Test somehow?
    Or replace with new , fearful of this as I see Lucus make replacements and from experience there parts especially points condensers are generally complete shite . Thoughts appreciated

• Agree Agree x 1