5k For Your Only Bike, What Would You Buy?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Moe, Jun 5, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    If you only had 5k for a bike and it was the only bike you would have for at least a year what would you get? Could be 2 bikes but 5k is the limit? Think I'd go for an 06 fireblade.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

#2 Cyborgbot, Jun 5, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2021
    Assuming £5k pounds Sterling I’d probably try one of those new fangled electric mountain bike things.

They are hideously over priced but since your giving me the cash (thank you - most generous) I’ll squander it unwisely.

Edit: I missed the bit about being my only bike… Maybe not then.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    If you can find a decent one.... 20170510_164555.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    It would be one of the bikes I have in the garage now. A Honda VFR800 circa 1998. They are great value for money here in the UK currently. You can pick a decent one up for less than £2k and a cracker for £3k. Gear driven cams, derived from the RC45 motor (they are designated RC46 by Honda) It will take you touring, do the commute and although its outclassed these days, you could take it to a track day and have some fun too, there's still 140 mph plus on tap. What would I do with the remaining £3k? Not sure, I'd probably buy a dirt bike with that.

4bikes.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    A decent hayabusa or blackbird.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    First step is to decide what will you want to do with the bike and what sort of rider you are?

Commute / leisure / touring?
    Miles per year?
    Passenger?
    Urban / motorway / track / off road?
    Scratching or Vicar?
    Wind in your face / comfort?
    Spec is everything / looks matter

I recon this would narrow down the search quite a bit, then it is just a case of picking the option that you are most excited about.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Gen 2 Aprilia Tuono 1000R :cool: still miss it :weary_face: E4864624-045A-4A2F-B410-A5BFE3A4936E.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    That's a brilliant idea, think you could help me find a decent one? I'm bases in Essex.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    That's a very good question, at the moment it's a rare Sunday ride. Even when I did do some miles it's still only a fun bike a keep. Atm I have a 2019 tuono v4 factory. Mates and my wife have been saying there's no need for a 13k bike when you only do 1-2k miles a year...which I see their point. Could save me a bit of dough too!

• Like Like x 1
  10. johne

Jan 16, 2020
    Try Ebay or Facebook Moe, there's plenty around as I mentioned. They have a few gremlins like any bike. The usual issues are the electrical reg/ rectifier, rotten exhaust downpipes (all these bikes are at least 18 years old now) and possibly issues with the LCD dash. Most of these problems will have been attended to by a conscientious owner. I bought mine late last summer for £2k. The reg/rec had been upgraded, the exhausts on mine were actually ok, but I have a stainless steel system I bought in the winter months ready to fit and it had some useful extras like heated grips and a luggage rack. When going to look at a potential purchase, check the LCD display all works. They can be fixed, but better to get one that's ok in the first place. The VFR800Fi '97 - 2002 are referred to as the 5th generation VFRs, they have the gear driven cams so theres no cam chain to worry about, if you buy the later VTech models, Honda reverted to a cam chain for driving the camshafts so they can be potentially troublesome.

11. johne

Jan 16, 2020
    Try Ebay or Facebook Moe, there's plenty around as I mentioned. They have a few gremlins like any bike. The usual issues are the electrical reg/ rectifier, rotten exhaust downpipes (all these bikes are at least 18 years old now) and possibly issues with the LCD dash. Most of these problems will have been attended to by a conscientious owner. I bought mine late last summer for £2k. The reg/rec had been upgraded, the exhausts on mine were actually ok, but I have a stainless steel system I bought in the winter months ready to fit and it had some useful extras like heated grips and a luggage rack. When going to look at a potential purchase, check the LCD display all works. They can be fixed, but better to get one that's ok in the first place. The VFR800Fi '97 - 2002 are referred to as the 5th generation VFRs, they have the gear driven cams so theres no cam chain to worry about, if you buy the later VTech models, Honda reverted to a cam chain for driving the camshafts so they can be potentially troublesome.

12. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    I have a R3 GT and just purchased a gsx1400 - I find it my all time favorite muscle bike 20210531_083921.jpg 20210531_083921.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
  14. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    There's a blue 2001 on autotrader for 3.3, 20km not miles. Looks like it's in good nick.and this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VF...-/333970802807?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Loved my 99 blade I had.

15. Stramasher

Stramasher Senior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    ex-0141
    Congratulations. A b&w K2. You win. Had mine for 72,000miles and 11yrs. Pretty much standard and certainly mint. Quickly got a fat neck and a Vulcan Death Grip handshake. Prices now starting to get silly.

• Thanks Thanks x 1