Featured 50yr Old Jap

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by elevensies, Feb 10, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JULIAN WW

JULIAN WW Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2019
    carlton in lindrick
    Apologies for suggesting your bike is one of the street scrambler breed when the SL could be used as a serious dirt bike. Funny that all these years later Triumph has found a niche with a similar Scrambler concept

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. elevensies

elevensies Noble Member

Jun 11, 2019
    lincolnshire
    hey, no apology needed, quite funnt really as i have been reading into these bikes and they were quite a off road capable bike, even though i wont be unless it a spot off green laning

I like the CL as its very very close to the look of my triumph scrambler, but the SL are such a rare bike, even harden honda guys say "eh a what?"

cant wait to get it up and running

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    This takes me back almost a lifetime. Really nice job on this ride!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. JULIAN WW

Nov 27, 2019
    carlton in lindrick
    The UK bike mag "Classic Bike", March 2017 has a feature on Street Scramblers with a piece, and good picture of, the 1971 SL350K1.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. JULIAN WW

Nov 27, 2019
    carlton in lindrick
    Thanks. This CL came from Minnesota, I could just make out a college campus car park sticker on the fork leg. I suspect a short but hard life whilst maintained by a Sherman Tank mechanic.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Herman66

Herman66 Active Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Dorset, U.K
    Nice bike!!...I'm doing up my old 1980 XL125SA..Its a money bucket but was in bad shape..can't wait to hear it start up again.

• Like Like x 1
  7. elevensies

elevensies Noble Member

Jun 11, 2019
    lincolnshire
    yayhhhhh

today the carb repair kits arrived
    the fuel tap arrived
    new gel battery already

re buillt carbs, and fitted

and fired up on the starter and runs a dream, iv had it up and down the yard, and pulls strong, no smoke no noises, very very happy

now i couldnt locate, side panel badges, these are iv been told are unobtainable, so i have some others that i sourced for a later other model, and the gold wings just dont work for me, but i will keep them until i do locate something more original.

thumbnail_IMG_2564.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. JULIAN WW

Nov 27, 2019
    carlton in lindrick
    Sounds a winner. Pleased for you. Good luck with the badges. Good sources are David Silver Spares (USA & UK) and CMSL (CMSNL.com) the latter has all the original exploded diagrams and part nos on its website.

• Like Like x 1
  9. elevensies

elevensies Noble Member

Jun 11, 2019
    lincolnshire
    thanks for that tried david silver, he said "not a chance"
    he alose said that about the other bits thats missing too, exhaust chrome guards, and white tank decal (now painted on as per pic)

10. JULIAN WW

Nov 27, 2019
    carlton in lindrick
    Probably not worth making it a hassle then but the real pleasure will be winding it on down an open road. Or track.

11. JULIAN WW

Nov 27, 2019
    carlton in lindrick
    Probably not worth making it a hassle then but the real pleasure will be winding it on down an open road. Or track.