4 months for speeding!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Dougie D, Feb 7, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-38883098
    I’m not condoning speeding but to me this is Bollox:mad:, I’d be in total agreement for a harsh sentence if he had been in a built up area or if the road was busy, in fact I’d be happy for ar*eholes that do this to get a longer sentence and a lifetime ban, but I know this stretch of road and as it was quiet he probably thought it was as risky as buttering toast and although he would have known he was speeding (I doubt he would have been looking at his speedo,) the bike he was on was more than capable of those speeds and he is not a novice. If we are honest most of us at one time or another (on a safe bit of road) have taken our bikes way over the speed limit and to get 4 months in Jail for doing so is too much:(

• Like Like x 5
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Dougie, this guy broke the law and he got caught doing it. He was in a 60mph zone apparently, doing more than double the speed limit. He showed no respect for the law whatsoever. But worse than that were his explanations. "I didn't know what speed I was doing."???? My old Mam used to say if you can't say anything good or clever, say nothing.

• Like Like x 2
  3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    #3 crispey, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    This will show how the justice system is blind. Of course there is no comparison, one is an experienced driver not in a built up area and really only a danger to himself. The other? Guess what he'll do when he gets out!!!
    Yes the guy broke the law and being experienced he should know better, not knowing how fast he was going was a bit lame and was lucky not to get an undue care and attention

• Like Like x 3
  4. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    think your'e being a bit harsh on him Dave,if everyone who went over 60mph went to jail there would be no bikes on the road,he was wrong but on a straight bit of road when it's quiet to get 4 months in jail and a 5 year ban:eek:

• Like Like x 7
  5. martingw1

martingw1 Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Wonder what the sentence would have been, if he'd been in a sports car!

• Like Like x 4
  6. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I think it is a harsh sentence particularly for the length of road he had travelled. (1,000 ft) although he was actually 2.5 times over the speed limit, to put it in perspective it is the equivalent of doing 75mph in a 30mph zone
    I have never owned a vehicle capable of doing 149mph but if I had I would probably want to 'check it out' periodically on a 'safe' stretch of road, particularly if I had just serviced it.
    I am sure we have all broken a motoring law at one time or another, so I agree with Dougie, some of us may well have been banned for past indiscretions
    Jail and a 5 year ban ??? Not justified in my humble opinion.
    Maybe a deterrent to some, it may well incite others to learn more devious methods of not getting caught.

• Like Like x 7
  7. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Custodial doesn't seem unreasonable to me for 149mph on a single carriageway public road. There was traffic on the road - he said he slowed down as he approached traffic ahead. Doesn't matter he's a TT rider. He'd already admitted to dangerous driving - even on an 'empty' road he can still be a danger to himself, imagine if a sizeable animal had jumped out in to the road.

According to the CPS a person drives dangerously when:
    • the way they drive falls far below the minimum acceptable standard expected of a competent and careful driver; and
    • it would be obvious to a competent and careful driver that driving in that way would be dangerous.
    Excessive speed is considered dangerous.

And ffs, not even paying attention cuz as the Sheriff said "But I am perturbed that not withstanding your knowledge of bikes, you were not aware of the speed you were doing. Therefore I cannot deal with this other than with a custodial sentence."

I don't know about Scottish law, but he could have got 6 months in an English Magistrates court, or up to two years if in Crown Court.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Too harsh, don't see Porsche drivers on the M4 getting 5 year bans and 4 months jail for doing 150mph.

He slowed down as he approached the traffic, was only over a short burst. Totally OTT. Fine and 3 month ban would have been appropriate, not 5 years and a resit plus jail time. I could understand if he did this for 15 miles and passed loads of cars and generally rode like a dick, but just a wee blast up the road. I know I have donee this many times.

As for not paying attention, he was paying attention to the road, looking down to check your speed would have been even more dangerous. I know, when I have in the past, played at silly buggers, there was no way I was taking my eyes of the road and checking out my speed, that would be lunacy.

He'd have been better if he had stolen it and riding with no helmet = 40 hours community service and a telling off.

Again bikers getting shitty end of the stick.

• Like Like x 11
  9. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

The moment a speeding car crashed through barriers on the M6 toll motorway has been released on a police video.

Thomas Allsopp, 24, from Roston Drive in Hinckley, Leicestershire, was clocked hitting 149mph by West Midlands Police as he drove an Audi A8 on 27 December 2015.

Allsopp, who was uninsured and had just a provisional licence, was caught on camera weaving in and out of traffic.

He admitted dangerous driving and other motoring offences and was given an eight-month jail sentence, suspended for 12 months at Birmingham Crown Court.

That seems fair, he gets 8 mths suspended for doing the same speed but over a distance and then crashing.

NOT FAIR.

• Like Like x 10
  10. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Then again these two idiots two got six months and four months for doing 130+mph in their go-faster cars.

And agreed MrO, it does seem Allsopp got off very lightly. Moral of the story, do your speeding in Leicestershire.

• Like Like x 2
  11. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Prison for speeding when no accident occurred and no one got hurt does seem a little harsh.

• Like Like x 7
  12. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

:eek:They were actually racing each other on a public highway amongst other road users !!!!

:eek:And he only got 4 mths jail !!!!

WTF !!!!:mad:

• Like Like x 4
  13. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Agree, if you are racing or have an accident, deserve the jail, but when no one is harmed or endangered other than the offender, don't see how jail can be justified, as in the original case mentioned.

• Like Like x 7
  14. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    There are ways of avoiding this;
    1, don't do it
    2, be able to afford a good lawyer
    3, be of slight celebrity status.
    4, don't get caught.
    I think the majority of us fall under catagory no4

• Like Like x 7
  15. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    That's the law and sentencing guidelines the courts operate with for dangerous driving. Fwiw I reckon prison is already unnecessarily overcrowded. Even if he'll only serve six weeks or so would community service be any less likely to modify his future behaviour? But that's another topic.

16. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #17 thebiglad, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Well Dougie, respectfully I disagree. He wasn't just doing a bit over the 60mpg limit - HE WAS DOING 149MPH;

And I say again, to use the excuse "I didn't know what speed I was doing" is the definition of driving without due care. He didn't even have the common sense to just say "I'm sorry, it was entirely my own fault and I acknowledge that what I did was wrong."

I'm not at all saying that anyone who rides or drive at +10% or +20% should be banned, but this bloke was nicked doing roughly 150% OVER the speed limit.

Let's get real guys, at that speed if anything goes wrong you're dead - and some poor ambulance person has to come and scrape you off the tarmac. Some policeman has to go to your house and report to your family that you are DEAD. It is NEVER just you on a lonely road - there's always consequences.

• Like Like x 2
  17. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I remember getting that one when i was pulled over for doing 39 in a 30 as a 19 year old
    . zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

18. desertspeedy

desertspeedy Senior Member

Jul 28, 2016
    N. Phoenix, AZ, USA
    I would appeal as well. Community service seems indicated for a victimless crime. Here in the open spaces of AZ if we are clocked at 20 MPH (sorry for lack of conversion to your velocity measurements but I suck at metric) over the posted limit we can be charged with felony speeding. It absolutely sucks however there is a standing directive that Highway Patrol must stop a high speed pursuit at velocities over 120 MPH. Just watched a pursuit on the news last night where a KTM kept his freedom for doing 140 MPH and Mr. Plod was told to cease the chase.
    We choose our course of action and we must accept our consequences for that choice.

19. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    They are doubling the fines and putting 6 points on your licence for using a mobile whilst driving.
    Not before time in my opinion.

• Like Like x 3