1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    #1 Judd Dredd, Oct 31, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021

• Like Like x 5
  2. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    This may be a stupid question, but why on earth do we still have metallic fuel tanks?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    #3 learningtofly, Oct 31, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    Yes, aluminium would seem to be the obvious answer, but in more general terms it just seems to me that the situation with regard to tanks is much like that of chains (IMO, anyway). I'd have thought that - after decades and decades of advances - there would be alternatives to the old technologies and materials. I find it all a bit puzzling.

4. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    I watched this too (I like all his videos) and was immediately thankful I've never had to use any stabilizer. It looks like a lose-lose situation and a lot of the problem is in using effing corn to make fuel.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Lou160487

Lou160487 Senior Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Florida U.S.A
    I watched it too. For me his final comments were great. If you think you need a stabilizer just put non ethanol gas in it. Ryan is an intelligent young man. I like the fact he doesn't seem to pander to manufacturers.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    I've never used any fuel stabiliser in the past but having several bikes to store some for more than this winter guess what? I gone and done it used stabil, then watched this video :(
    Just got lucky picking the only one with half a recommendation :)
    And yeah final comments were interesting but where can you buy ethanol free petrol even super unleaded is marked as E5 at the pumps and I was lead to believe it was ethanol free :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    This guy really produces excellent videos with helpful information. Thanks for posting this one, Judd. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Iamtheonlyone

Iamtheonlyone Senior Member

Jul 23, 2019
    The North
    Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland).20 Apr 2020

• Useful Useful x 2
  9. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Weird some areas have Ethanol, where most don't. Given the areas in question, I can only imagine one effect of Ethanol is you no longer want to sleep with your sister, which would be catastrophic for the population in said areas.

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    That's what I thought but the pump is marked E5

11. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    I remember working on my Sprint and finding about 300ml of that gloop in the bottom of the tank. I had been using Stabil when I lay a bike up but clearly a full tank of Ethanol free is the way to go.

As an aside, the quality of the production in their videos is outstanding. Well informed as well. I thought I heard he had a science degree or something, may be wrong on that...

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    It'd be really handy if they marked them 'E0' using that convention.

• Like Like x 2
  13. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    does America have worse petrol than us to start with

14. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    I believe they already have E10, saying that it's much cheaper than what we are forced to pay over here, taxed to hell

15. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    We've been through this ethanol question before, elsewhere on this forum. If you try the 'search' facility you'll find a ton of info.
    Finding ethanol-free petrol is tricky but it is still available from some locations. However it's no good asking the people at the petrol station as they never have a clue. The government is likely to stop the sale of ethanol-free petrol in the near future.
    If you are going to leave your bike unused for several weeks or even months then obviously filling up with ethanol-free is an option. Personally I wouldn't do that, I prefer to use them. My 3 bikes are MOT'd & taxed all year round and I get them on the road as often as possible, even through winter. We have some glorious winter days. Yes, councils sometimes chuck salt on the roads (but not as often as they used to) but it isn't a big deal to wash it off, so I think that's a poor excuse. Not one of my bikes has ever suffered from occasional winter use.
    However if you do decide to stick your bike into hibernation then I reckon the best thing is to drain the tank, just to be on the safe side.
    Incidently, two of my bikes are 30 & 26 years old. They have carbs not fuel injectors and are even more prone to damage from ethanol (which eats rubber seals if left in contact with them). I have lined their fuel tanks because rust particle were collecting in fuel filters. But that won't protect the carbs, they need to be used.
    Ethanol is only a problem if it's allowed to sit in the tank for weeks. Get your bike out once a fortnight, for 30+ miles and it will be fine.

learningtofly mentioned bike chains and wondered why they still require maintenance. You'll be glad to hear that a non-maintenance chain has been engineered by, I think, BMW (recently reported in the bike comics). It shouldn't be long before all chain manufacturers suss it out and they are available for most bikes, so a bit of good news.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. English Bowman

English Bowman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Portsmouth UK
    I don't agree with you there, the Sprint 1050ST and the Tiger both had plastic tanks, they looked fine. then there was a problem with the plastic reacting with the ethanol in the fuel and swelling, so the later Sprints went back to metal tanks, they're better. Also you can use a magnetic tank bag on them. Having had a plastic tank on my ST I'm so pleased that the GT has a metal tank, the two look the same, but the metal is better.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

You can make your own ethanol free fuel by putting some fuel in a pressure cooker and boiling it for an hour... it’s best if you use an open fire though, ‘coz it can smell a bit in the house!!!

Actually, E-free is tricky to find round our way... it’s all the classic bike owners I feel sorry for, a proper pita!

ps - don’t do the first thing in my post, it’ll kill you and burn your family... just saying!

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  19. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    I got a 09 tuono with a plastic tank and there prone to swell out of shape with shit ethanol in the fuel someone said plastic tanks are cheap not in aprilia land there not. they start at £2300 depending on colour.

• WTF WTF x 3
  20. DuoMaxwell

DuoMaxwell New Member

Oct 31, 2020
    Florida
    most are aluminum nowadays, but composites are worse. If you have ethanol in your fuel they warp and leak.