2021 T120 Looses Goodies

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Ratherlarge Al, Mar 12, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ratherlarge Al

Ratherlarge Al New Member

Sep 25, 2017
    West Yorkshire
    I’ve been investigating the brand new T120 and whist the blurb goes on about engine improvements and alloy rims there is no mention of the fact standard features of the earlier model such as grab rail, centre stand and heated grips are now expensive optional extras. They’ve introduced cruise control but I can’t see me using that in the Yorkshire Dales. I suppose it’s just a ploy to hide a price hike. Grrrr!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Ratherlarge Al
    Welcome to the family if I missed you in an earlier post. Yes you are quite right they all want your hard earned pennies and there is very little we can do about it.
    Joe

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    True, they do try it on don’t they, that said the alloy rims and engine mods are good improvements IMO.

4. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Interesting! I hadn’t noticed.

Cruise control is great stuff. I had it mounted on my Bonneville at the 600 mile service.

Heated grips are essential. I’m disappointed that they aren’t mounted on all of Triumphs premium models (T120, Speed Triple RS, Rocket models). Let’s face it if you are dropping $22,500 for a Rocket, making it cost $22,750 and adding factory heated grips is going to eliminate exactly zero sales.

Centerstand is fine. Overrated a bit, actually. The triangle of wheels and side stand are inherently more stable for a parked bike, and having a rear stand handy to lube the chain and clean the rear wheel is easy peasy.

Tubeless spoked rims would be a terrific improvement. When is Triumph gonna do that for us?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    Good point re tubeless, much better if you get a puncture as you stand a chance of fixing it , for those that have Thruxton’s or the new Bonneville you can have them converted to tubeless, if you’re in the UK central wheels can do it for you, at a cost! :)

https://www.central-wheel.co.uk/
    7D2F80DE-7741-48A0-B5DA-537E0EADC151.png

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Yeah, I did mine tubeless in a DIY shop with 3M rape. I have enough left over to do another bike if you are riding it around Seattle, USA ;)

Pretty easy to do if even I can do it :rolleyes:

In fact, it’s so easy to do... why doesn’t Triumph just build them that way? :grinning:

7. john dunlop

john dunlop New Member

Jun 27, 2020
    edinburgh
    Yes I quite agree, noticed it straight away, My one bug bear is the front wheel!! I didn't realise firstly it was a different size to the rear before I purchased it! Secondly, only managed 4000 miles out of the stock front tyre (Pirelli) very disappointed, then found out that the front tyre is a cross ply and the rear is a Radial?? Now I find I am very limited to what I can put on the front, having to keep it as a cross ply. Why have thet not gone for 17 inch rims on the new model? The Thruxton and the Speed twin both have 17 inch front tyres? Just saying!! If I was going to buy a new Triumph this year I would not give the T120 a thought.

8. Caligula

Caligula Member

Mar 17, 2019
    east anglia
    Any real world use motorbike needs or should have a centre stand. Not putting one on is a pet hate.
    Perhaps showing how desperate they might have been to shed a kilo or two....?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Stephen Martin

Stephen Martin Senior Member

Aug 31, 2020
    Isle of Wight
    So you have left over 3M rape tape ( id keep quiet about that if i was you) :joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. BLKWND

BLKWND Member

Nov 17, 2020
    HOUSTON
    There is no good reason I know of to go back with a cross-ply front tire when time to replace it. I’ll bump mine to the 110/80R18, even if I’m not able to spring for tubeless wheels yet. I’ve run radial front tires with cross-ply rear tires for years on my older Speedmasters, and it’s a major improvement in handling as well as suspension action.

The rule of thumb in the automotive world is never run radial on front if not on rear also, but these two-wheelers do great that way.

I sure wish somebody would make a cast wheel option for the T120. Spokes are for looks, I guess. Cast wheels would save a lot of weight.

11. BLKWND

BLKWND Member

Nov 17, 2020
    HOUSTON
    With all the ballyhoos about what Triumph added or took away on the new bikes, I haven’t heard anyone yet bring up illuminated switchgear. For a “premium” motorcycle (which, no doubt it is), that really is something lacking here in 2021.

12. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Triumph seem to have fallen into the habit of "removing" what were stock items on the previous model and making it an extra on all but the top of the range bikes. They did this with centre stands on the new Tigers. Any bike with a chain should have a centre stand fitted. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. john dunlop

john dunlop New Member

Jun 27, 2020
    edinburgh
    You get a cast wheel on several bikes, also the speed twin runs a 17 inch alloy

14. BLKWND

BLKWND Member

Nov 17, 2020
    HOUSTON
    For the way I like to ride around town here - all freeway- the Speed Twin really would have been the fun bike to choose. I took the T120 as maybe better suited for longer trips, and the rear fender may be better for inclement weather. It’s okay. I ride it like a Speed Twin anyway!

Maybe one year we will see an SE edition with bolt-on wheels that would fit the big Bonne?

15. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    I wish I could blame autocorrect for that howler but to be honest it was just my own stupidity :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Brixton Steve

Brixton Steve Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Devon
    Can't help thinking if you're at the dealers and you say "put a centrestand on it and you've got a sale " are they really going to say "get lost"?

17. Caligula

Caligula Member

Mar 17, 2019
    east anglia
    Ha!Ha! Perhaps not, but it would really tick me off that you'd have to ask for a centre stand.........

18. MICK64

MICK64 Active Member

Sep 15, 2020
    NEW FOREST. ENGLAND
    Just sit down for a piss gentlemen, and wipe your pussies. Some seriously prententious people on here Most of you couldn't ride a bike in a straight line. Never mind on a back road.