2020 T100 Cam Chain Tensioner Removal.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by nickjaxe, Aug 5, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. nickjaxe

nickjaxe Active Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Cheshire UK
    #1 nickjaxe, Aug 5, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    Hi all....I have a 1 year old 900cc T100 water-cooled Bonnie.

Around the time of its first oil change 500miles.....I noticed a tapping/rattle sort of noise soon after a cold start...not right away but maybe after is been idling for 20seconds.

Only lass around 30 to 45 seconds and then is gone till the next cold start.

I am starting to think maybe the hydraulic cam chain tensioner is leaking its oil out over night....the oil inlet is tiny so it will take a time to re-fill.....over course I maybe well out with this idea....the dealers tech guy said no idea whats causing it....just ignore it as its not there all the time.

Its so easy to get the tensioner out....but the Haynes manual say the cam needs locking before the tensioner is removed.

Does anybody know if its strictly necessary to have to lock the cams.

I know that if the engine was turned with the tensioner removed....the chain could slip and balls up the valve timing.

Or is there more to it that I have not realised?

I dont want to disturb any more than necessary being a brand new engine....and dont have a lot of confidence in the local dealer.

P.S I should have added.....its been back to a Triumph UK dealer.....they dont know what is.....and advice.....long as it goes not to long after a cold start ignore it.

Nick in the UK.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Don't mess with it, try to get a second opinion from another mechanic/dealer.
    If mr Haynes says to lock the cams i would definitely do it but best to leave to the pros

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Nickjaxe
    Take it to a reputable dealer you should have your two year guarantee on there. Let them sort it out.
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Triumphrules01

Triumphrules01 New Member

Oct 4, 2021
    Kansas city, missouri
    I'm having similar problem with new T100, only my tapping noise doesn't happen on cold start it is completely random and only after ridden for a while upon restart. Started around time of first oil change. I was at dealer a coyple of weeks ago and told service manager about noise, he told me I was hearing things because it did not make the noise for them. I was told to " just ride and enjoy!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. nickjaxe

nickjaxe Active Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Cheshire UK
    P.S I should have added.....its been back to a Triumph UK dealer.....they dont know what is.....and advice.....long as it goes not to long after a cold start ignore it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MICK64

MICK64 Active Member

Sep 15, 2020
    NEW FOREST. ENGLAND
    #6 MICK64, Oct 6, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    Sounds like the oil is taking it's time to reach the head, and is leaving the rockers starving for a short period after start up.. I had the same problem on a Kawasaki V twin. Nothing to worry about, just the way it is

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Triumphrules01

Oct 4, 2021
    Kansas city, missouri

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Triumphrules01

Oct 4, 2021
    Kansas city, missouri
    The sound I'm getting is in sync with the rotation/vibration of the engine so it makes sense that it is internal engine related. The idea of being starved for oil at start up sounds plausible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Nickjaxe
    Welcome to the family. I would leave the job to the dealer. Do drop a picture when you get a chance.
    joe

10. MICK64

MICK64 Active Member

Sep 15, 2020
    NEW FOREST. ENGLAND
    It's only the top end mate. The pump is not instant. and takes a few seconds to get the oil to the highest part of the engine. If it dont stop within a minute, there is a problem, and it needs looking into. Take it back to the dealer, grab him by the throat, and shake him about, until he fixes it. :)

11. Triumphrules01

Oct 4, 2021
    Kansas city, missouri
    It does stop after about 5 seconds.

12. Triumphrules01

Oct 4, 2021
    Kansas city, missouri
    It does stop after about 5 seconds.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. MICK64

MICK64 Active Member

Sep 15, 2020
    NEW FOREST. ENGLAND
    So you got no problem then. Perfectly normal. No wonder the dealer told you to fuck off and ride it.:) Get some treatment for that ADD while you are at it. I recommend a serious dose of "Who hit John :)

10428339_894873137299878_254562104982208884_o (1).jpg

14. nickjaxe

nickjaxe Active Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Cheshire UK
    Dont think so.....as in my description..for the first 30secs of running its silent.....then the should gradually gets louder......then it goes.....

Cams are not hyd in my 900 water cooled engine.....the tensioner is.

15. MICK64

MICK64 Active Member

Sep 15, 2020
    NEW FOREST. ENGLAND
    Either stop moaning,and get it back to the dealer. OR set fire to it.. Simple as that mate

16. nickjaxe

nickjaxe Active Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Cheshire UK
    Sorry my friend did I upset you.

I want to find out myself.....but thankyou for you interest.

17. MICK64

MICK64 Active Member

Sep 15, 2020
    NEW FOREST. ENGLAND
    Not at all. Note the :) on my comment. It means i am having a grin.