2019 Street Twin Heated Grips

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Sconnie, Dec 4, 2023.

1. Sconnie

Sconnie New Member

Dec 4, 2023
    USA
    Hi all. I just picked up my first Triumph, a 2019 Street Twin with only 1,650 miles on it. So as I do with all my bikes, I joined the forums as soon as she got home. I live with cooler temperatures and would like to install heated grips. I've watched numerous how-to videos and it looks pretty straightforward. However, when I looked at my bike, my bars don't have the little hole in the center for the wiring to enter. I haven't removed the grips yet, but they don't look like aftermarket bars. Any input? Thank you!

2. John Clifton

John Clifton Member

Aug 3, 2022
    Aldershot
    Hmmm, can't help I'm afraid except that if it was me I'd get a dealer to put Triumph heated grips on. I know it's expensive but for a long-term piece of kit like that it's good to have the professionals do a decent job. Mind you, I don't do much maintenance at all on my bike, just add the odd bolt-on accessory so you may be somewhat more savvy than me! All the best.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I think the Triumph ones are around £230 uk.
    I have them on mine and they work well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sconnie

Sconnie New Member

Dec 4, 2023
    USA
    Here is an image of what I'm talking about. Also, the finish texture on my bars is very smooth, so I think they are aftermarket.

Bar Markup.PNG

5. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    I’ve had them on four bikes now. They’re consistently excellent.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    #6 RevPaul, Dec 4, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    Its always best to use Triumph's instructions before and alongside YouTube videos. Go to the Triumph Instructions website (link below) and input Triumph's Accessory part number to download the correct instructions.

Triumph Instructions.com

On my 2018 (Euro4 engine) Street Cup and on Euro 4 Street Twins (up to VIN AE3381) there will be a blanking plug at the end of the handlebars (under the grips) that needs removing and slots covered by the switch gear for the looms to run through the handlebars.

Download the instructions first to ensure that its the same for your bike.

If you're confident safely removing the tank (you'll need to in order to run the wiring correctly) and can get the left hand grip off, then fitting is relatively simple, provided you follow Triumph's instructions. I’ve found them to be good on my bike.

Hope that helps:)

Edit: Having just reread the OP, my reply assumes you’re wanting to fit Triumph’s heated grips, other makes that I’ve seen don’t seem to need holes in the handlebars.

• Like Like x 1
  7. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Can't remember for sure but the connector might be in the switch housing instead of under the tank. Therefore no hole on the bars needed. As above, get the part number and check triumphinstructions.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    #8 RevPaul, Dec 5, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
    Every day's a school day and my OCD just couldn't resists checking Triumph's instructions for @Sconnie's bike.

The instructions are pretty much the same as for my older bike, (Triumph hasn't reinvented the wheel for what doesn't need to be changed). The holes into the handlebars are under the switch blocks and out through blanking plugs at the ends of the handlebar, the connector for the heated grips loom is under the tank.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sconnie

Sconnie New Member

Dec 4, 2023
    USA
    Thanks for the help!!! I found the holes under the switch blocks!

• Like Like x 1
  10. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    As I said, the holes that you need will be under the left and right switch blocks: The only way to check is to carefully open them up (there will be small locating tabs and holes if the handle bar is standard), there will be an obvious slot shaped hole, large enough for the heated grips wiring loom.

11. Sconnie

Sconnie New Member

Dec 4, 2023
    USA
    Yes, I found the slots in the bar ends when I took my bar-end mirrors off. There is a plastic blanking cover over the slot. I also found the hole under each control cluster. So for the street twin, the cables follow the rest of the control wiring instead of coming out of the center of the bars. I downloaded the instructions and it looks pretty straightforward. Thanks again for the help! I'll have heated grips for our club's New Year's ride!

• Like Like x 1
  12. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    That's great, one note of caution when taking the tank off.

Take a good look at the fuel line where it connects to the fuel injection. There is a clip that slides out of the way revealing a rectangular tab, there is a matching one on the opposite side. You have to simultaneously press these tabs in as you pull the hose connector up vertically from the injector. it requires a lot of pressure and the hose is a tight fit to the injector. The temptation will be to twist and wiggle the fitting as you lift, both parts are plastic and if you use too much force you could break the male connector on the injector and then you'll be in a world of pain:sob:. You can get special fuel line pliers on Amazon to help with this (but I still find it challenging).

The other thing is that to get access to the fuel line, you'll need to undo the rear petrol tank bolt and prop up the rear of the tank pretty much as far as it can go. Needless to say that makes the whole set up unstable, especially when you're gripping the fuel line so close to the tank. Make sure that the tank is as stable as possible, because when the line finally comes away you can accidentally hit the side of the tank and dislodge it, as I did the first time; fortunately I caught it.

When you then lift the tank off you'll find the fuel sloshing around in it makes it both heavy and rather wayward, so again be careful to avoid it scratching against something. Refitting is a reversal of the above.

Take care, enjoy the process and then enjoy your new warm ride:cool:.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. barneymusician

Jun 11, 2020
    Chiswick, London, UK
    Thanks for the post and the replies. Bought mine 2 years ago but don't get my own garage until March '24 so will fit then being mindful of all advice here above. One more cold hands winter to go!

• Like Like x 1
  14. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Just to say, a good simple option is to fit Oxford grips. No holes needed and can be wired direct to the battery making installation simple. Modern heated grips sense when the engine is not running and power off the grips. I have Oxfords on both my bikes and they work well and are much cheaper than manufacturers wares. Also, the grips will not come on if your battery is "sickly".