Featured Touring 2019 Scottish Road Trip 26th May To 2nd June

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Dougie D, Sep 17, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gazwhitespeed

Gazwhitespeed Senior Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    Hi Dougie D,so far we are just south of fort William Monday night,Tuesday iv'e got to book somewhere in ullapool is that right,weds you can get me a room at gairloch,and then iv'e got to book one in ullapool for thurs night,thanks.

2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i've deleted my last post as it was a bit confusing:confused: Tuesday night we are staying in Broadford on Skye i'm waiting to hear back from the hostel to confirm this
    Wednesday night I've provisionally booked twin rooms at Gairloch hotel,,their tel number is 01445 712001 is you want to see about a single room?
    Thursday night we are staying in Ullapool
    Friday and Saturday I've not booked anything yet but when I do i'll let you know

3. Gazwhitespeed

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    Dougie,I am up to date,tues I am in a hotel in kyleakin 6mls from broadford[I do this every year in Ireland because there isn't anywhere nearer]I go and have several beers with the lads then ride to where I am staying,no way round this as it's too expensive otherwise.weds I am in gairloch half a mile away,thurs I am in the Caledonian in ullapool [been there a few times] thanks gaz.

4. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    that's good..I've sent everyone a pm re Friday and Saturday night

5. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    #125 Dougie D, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    This trip is now fully booked..if anyone else is interested I can put your name on a reserve list incase someone has to pull out
    1. Dougie D
    2.Andy c1
    3.Ken Walburn
    4. Sprinter (top bunks every time please)
    5. Andypandy
    6. Vulpes (Wim) monday-friday
    7.Rich Bryce
    8.Graham Duncan (organizing his own accommodation)
    9. BonnieCat (Nikki. + crutches)
    10.ElectrAbigail (Just Abi)
    11.jock stew (Mark)
    12.Bubble (pal of figwold)
    13. figwold
    14. Place holder for Nick Hall (forum member)
    15 Rocker (John)
    16. Gazwhitespeed (Gary) (organizing his own accommodation)
    17. Havit (Wayne)
    18. Mark Slattery
    This trip is now fully booked..if anyone else is interested I can put your name on a reserve list incase someone has to pull out

• Like Like x 3
  6. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i've had to pay the hostel in Braemar up front the normal price is £24.50 per person but as i'm a member i get a small discount for 6 other folk so i've divided the total cost £348.00 by 15 as thats how many will be staying there on the friday (Vulpes and Grahame will be away by then, and Gaz has organized his own accomodation),it works out at £23.20 each,i'll send everyone an PM with my email address so you can send the money via PayPal Please remember to pay via family/friends otherwise we will both get charged!!

On the last day i've booked 7 twin rooms at the Dakota hotel at a cost of £60.00 per person they don't need paid until 2 weeks prior,as it's a group booking i will have to pay it and you guys can pay me by paypal nearer the time, as there will one person needing a single room they wanted £110.00 for that! so there is no way i 'm paying that sort of money for a single room so i've booked myself into another hotel about 1 mile away

The hostel in Ullapool is Full:eek:,so i'm waiting to hear back from the Caledonian hotel as it's a group booking the receptionist could'nt take a booking someone else has to do that:confused:.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Here are the daily routes
    Monday point 1 is Tyndrum and point 5 is Corran bunkhouse (178 miles) i havn't added on the kinlochleven loop as i thought some folk might want to go over the Ballachulish bridge but if you wanted to do the kinlochleven loop it only adds on another 12 or so miles
    monday run.JPG

Tuesday point 1 is Corran Bunkhouse and point 7 is hostel in Broadford Skye (174 miles)
    tuesday run.JPG

Wednesday point 1 is Broadford and point 5 is Gairloch hotel (109 miles)
    wednesday run.JPG

Thursday point 1 is Gairloch Hotel and point 3 is Ullapool (56 miles)
    we then have the option of doing the lochinver loop which would be another 93 miles or going up to Kinlochbervie and smoo cave near Durness which would be another 141 miles

Thursday morning run.JPG

Friday point 1 is Ullapool and point 7 is Braemar (211 miles)

friday 2.JPG

Saturday point 1 is Braemar and point 6 is the Dakota Hotel South Queensferry (145 miles)

saturday 1.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  8. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    as thursday is a short day (only 56 miles) here is a couple of options for you to do once we arrive in Ullapool
    option 1 lochinver loop (93 miles)
    lochinver.JPG

or option 2 a run up to Kinlochbervie then on to Smoo cave near Durness (141 miles)
    opt 2.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  9. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    It looks awesome. Can’t wait

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Gazwhitespeed

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    Thursday is going to be a great day because I think the road up from ullapool to durness is my favourite road in the uk,it's like you are on a giant rollercoaster with virgin beaches on your left and the water looks unworldly and the road surface is really good,then across to tongue and down to lairg another brilliant road,so maybe for me the lochinver route in the morning and this in the afternoon,that day will be epic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    when i got to Durness i was going to about turn and go back to Ullapool but i might do as you suggest heading along to tongue and down that road to Lairg i've always avoided it but having a look on google maps it's not as narrow as i thought it would be, and it will be a quiet road

12. Gazwhitespeed

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    Dougie it's quite a narrow road but not as narrow as the one out of applecross and its very quiet especially on a week day,i must say you have picked some fantastic routes everyday is going to be great,can't wait.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    OPTION 3
    Sleep till noon, eat a huge breakfast, have a few beers, sleep it off.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Here's me thinking you would be a cert for going up to Lochinver for one of their pies!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Very tempting Dougie, very tempting ! :yum:yum

16. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    #136 Rich Bryce, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    T
    Tongue to Lairg is a cracker. Goes past the coldest place in the UK, Altnahara. Check my video. It's South to North, Lairg to Tongue, then East to West to Durness, i.e. the other way round. I didn't get round to editing it (well I did, then went and deleted the edit by mistake and emptied my recycle bin), so jump through it for a taste.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    lets hope the weathers better than that;) otherwise I can see a liquid lunch in Ullapool!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Reggie

Reggie Senior Member

Feb 19, 2016
    Penicuik
    You'll lose the will to live doing that Dougie...... it goes on and on and on and on....single track mind numbing ball ache of a road. When you get to Lairg you'll think you should be in Liverpool the time you've been riding :sob:

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Ha Ha I think you might be right! and from Lairg back to Ullapool is single track too,i imagine it would be a very long 60 odd miles without the spectacular scenery of Applecross or the Lochinver Loop...I might leave that for another day and another bike;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    #140 Rich Bryce, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Loved. Did it both ways. And in the rain. Fast, traffic free, remote moorland scenery marks a contrast with mountainous Highlands. Different folks, different strokes I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1