2019 Rs Oil Consumption

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by spony, Mar 22, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. spony

spony Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2019
    scotland
    my 2019 rs has done about 2200 miles ,i thought I'd check the oil ,it needed a bit ,when i asked at triumph what is ok in the consumption department ,they say up to 1L per 1000 miles :eek:
    can this be true ?

• WTF WTF x 1
  2. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Does it smoke at all?
    That does seem very high!?

3. spony

spony Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2019
    scotland
    no, it didn't take all that & doesn't smoke ,but that's what triumph say is acceptable ,which is why I'm asking ,seems a lot to me

4. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    If you was using that much you'd never need an oil service, you'd have had 2 changes inside the standard service interval !! :)
    Doesn't happen so much these days with modern machining techniques, but it was always expected to use a bit more during the run-in phase.
    I've had a couple of 1050 engined Triumphs now and don't get any noticeable usage between services.

The 1L in 1000mls is basically Triumph saying we're not going to pull your engine apart unless it's that bad. :(

(BTW - my Evoque leaves the factory and doesn't get an oil change until 2 years or 20,000mls - the wonders of modern manufacturing)

• Like Like x 1
  5. spony

spony Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2019
    scotland
    i'll keep an eye on it :eyes:

6. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    How was the engine run in? That can have a lot to do with how well the rings seat with the cylinder walls and how much oil it burns. Following the manufacturer’s run in procedure, or probably more accurately their lawyers, doesn’t usually allow for the best run in.

7. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    1L per 1000 miles is pretty standard for car and bike manufactures to state as the acceptable limit. That's the same as my RD500 :joy:.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    1L per 1000m may be the limit but could also mean your engine has issues. I seem to remember some owners of the first Z1000J's complaining of excessive oil consumption which was put down to bore glazing during run in. I had a new FZR1000RU in '91 which would lose/use oil intermittently for no reason I could fathom. No leaks, no smoke but the level could go from the upper to the lower marks on the sight glass within a couple of hundred miles. Never did figure that one out.

9. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    My Street Triple, which was a demo, would burn about half a litre between oil changes. My Speed remains at full till the next oil change. Rode it like I stole it from the dealer :).

10. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    This has been an arguement fought over many a pub pint for decades. The initial "run in" is done during the first few minutes of running anyway which, these days, is done at the factory before the bike leaves the production line so I don't either method of owner run in is bad. I think the manufacturers are just covering their arse's with their handbook advice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    A friend had a FZR1000 EXUP that used quiet a bit of oil. It didn't smoke but you could smell it when following. Smelled quite nice on fully synthetic Motul :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    A friend had a FZR1000 EXUP that used quiet a bit of oil. It didn't smoke but you could smell it when following. Smelled quite nice on fully synthetic Motul :p

13. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I’ve found an overwhelming amount of material that supports the “hard” run in, and will always do so. But to each their own I suppose. My brother did the same thing on his Yamaha and has no oil consumption issues either. My other brother bought a demo, like my street triple was, and has oil consumption issues. This could be completely coincidental, but supports the overwhelming evidence of a “hard” run in.

14. xorbe

xorbe Noble Member

Jan 27, 2021
    CA, USA
    Audi/VW allowed 1L per 800 miles at one point. I think it was when they sent a batch of engines out with the rings installed upside-down, and they were doing anything to avoid fixing anything, of course.

15. Magneto

Magneto New Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Glasgow
    I've covered 4000 miles or so between services on my 2019 S and oil consumption has been negligible. I wouldn't be concerned about the dealer comment, it's just them covering their backside as @Col_C says.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

• Like Like x 2
  16. spony

spony Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2019
    scotland
    fairly normal, not to hard not to gentile

• Like Like x 1
  17. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    @xorbe,,,,,,I had one of those engines..... it took a lot of persuading to get a full rebuild. It was a 2.0 turbo petrol A5 Audi and drank oil like a 2 stroke engine. The dealer fobbed me off with the “ this is perfectly normal “ line and gave me an official Audi hand out that explained this was normal.... My guess is that they were trying to get through the warranty period and then it would have not been normal and they could have charged me for it. I saw the bill for the rebuild and it was £2.5k ....

18. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    wouldn't agree with that my triumph doesn't use any oil ,from oil change to change .nether does my Deauville with 143000km on it

• Like Like x 1
  19. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Well hopefully that would have been enough to seat the rings. Briefly, here is what I found from a lot of research into this topic. Cylinder walls initially have a honed crosshatch pattern that the rings wear down very quickly for a proper seal. If the rings aren't forced against the walls soon enough (only high rpm’s create enough pressure to do this), they'll use up the roughness of that crosshatching before they fully seat. Once that happens there is no solution but to re hone the cylinders, install new rings and start over again. Oil consumption is from oil getting past the rings. It’s also important to change the oil after the first ride, as there could be larger bits of metal from the new engine in the oil. This also could be one of the reasons for oil consumption. If the oil is not changed right away, those bits of metal could score the cylinder walls causing oil consumption. Maybe this is all overkill, but I’d rather error on the side of caution.

• Like Like x 1
  20. spony

spony Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2019
    scotland
    cheers, I'll keep an eye on it ,been out a couple of runs and its not used any ,I'm wondering if it wasn't filled enough on its service

• Agree Agree x 1