2019-2020 Street Scrambler/street Twin Recall

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by garethr, Sep 7, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    Ideally that's what they'd do, however that would likely require a whole new loom and significant expense (as there's now wiring on the other side of the headstock too), so unlikely Triumph would consider it unless it turns out to be a safety issue rather than simply a very expensive inconvenience.

2. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
    Really, refering only to the LH control lights and cable to the headlight, doesn´t require new loom, that´s only a cable (and long enough) but bad routed, and THEY KNOW IT¡¡¡ now they replace the route. They must to call to ALL users to change the route, because this will be a persistent issue if not solved (ok, not a lot milleage for this bikes, and maybe prefer to solve some users issues than replace all, and better, they will fail out of warranty, more money).

but this issue is there, and now is solved with re-routed. Or I hope it will be solved.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    I took the opportunity to have a good look at mine today and the wiring that's been chafing on others is nowhere near that rough edge on mine, however the brake hose is, and the rubber sheathing on the hose has just started to rub.

By the looks of things, the cables and hoses are bundled differently so it may depend on which person in the factory has installed them.

Definitely something for me to keep an eye on

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I looked at a new SS in the dealer today (in the new colours) and could see no difference in the cable routing. Mine is also unaffected at present by the cable damage but yes, it is close to the metal head stock on full lock. Maybe, as Gyp had said, it's down to how the bike is assembled on the production line and that some bikes have slightly tighter looms/cable routing round the headstock than others.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
    #45 Walko, Jun 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    Hi, check photo, this is a 2021. The wire (from left control) is over the brake line, not under as 2019-2020 (and maybe , previous). Now, its over, and then it can be crushed with the plastic protector or rounded metal.

Seems very similar to actual 2019-2020, but that´s the difference. And all 2019-2020 would must be routed in this way (recall)

2021 wiring
    [​IMG]

you can compare with photo posted by daveweld and you can see 2019-2020 models are routed under the brake hose (and touching the metal lower zone, where is the "cutting" area)

[​IMG]

regards

6. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
    the rubber on the brake hose can be damaged too, or cut lengthwise... check well that rubber touching with the plastic key holder (when you turn to right) and maybe you see that I´m refering (check all round rubber), mainly in this area with that point contact.

[​IMG]

regards

7. Mattyou_moto

Mattyou_moto New Member

Aug 2, 2021
    Lancashire
    Hey buddy sorry to contact you!

I am really getting upset with triumph…

I’ve had issues with Abs, TC, check engine light and service light whilst riding..

After paying £90 for someone to tell me it’s a water ingress issue, they failed to notice the pinching of cables… near the ignition barrel.

Attached are photos and videos of the issues occurred with this lazy routing of cables by triumph

The brake cable has also started to degrade even after a service not so long ago, a service which includes the inspection of the brake cable….

I’m sadly not the only one affected by this..

8. Mattyou_moto

Mattyou_moto New Member

Aug 2, 2021
    Lancashire
    it’s still not fixed

I’ve had issues with Abs, TC, check engine light and service light whilst riding..

After paying £90 for someone to tell me it’s a water ingress issue, they failed to notice the pinching of cables… near the ignition barrel.

Attached are photos and videos of the issues occurred with this lazy routing of cables by triumph

The brake cable has also started to degrade even after a service not so long ago, a service which includes the inspection of the brake cable….

9. Mattyou_moto

Mattyou_moto New Member

Aug 2, 2021
    Lancashire

10. Mattyou_moto

Mattyou_moto New Member

Aug 2, 2021
    Lancashire

11. Mattyou_moto

Mattyou_moto New Member

Aug 2, 2021
    Lancashire

12. Daveweld

Daveweld Active Member

Aug 2, 2020
    UK
    Agree it seems a Triumph Batch problem. My dealer sorted this out and Triumph supported the repair. No cost to me.

13. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
    a batch of ALL street scramblers manufactured up to 2021 (euro5) model o_O:joy:. A very large batch

14. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Mine goes in next week for a new VIN label as the old one has got damaged.

15. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
  16. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I asked the dealer if the new VIN label came with a new protector and they said not. I've already had the recall for the wiring harness clip on the headstock done. My bike has the cables routed as per the old design but isn't affected by the damage problem as the harness doesn't touch the frame as it does on some other bikes. Nevertheless I've rerouted the LH control cable like the new '21 models so it isn't underneath the brake line.

17. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
  18. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
    I said before, if you haven´t the issue, you will have because are ALL SS with this cable bad installed, pressed and cutted with the sharp edge (all bikes have the sharp edge). Is possible you haven´t yet the issue or damage, but is impossible you won´t get in future, it´s a defect in ALL bikes (and if your cable is routed in other way, not pressed when turn handlebar, they would be a "defective" unit well routed, but are all wrong).

and check too the rubber protector for the brake line, because you will have it cutted too (if not cutted, it will be cutted). The plastic lock barrel is A KNIFE, more than metal area cutting the lh control wire.

and this cut is along a large area of brake line.

absolutely a bad design for ALL scramblers. 2021 model have the lh cable solved routed over brake line instead under, but this not.
    [​IMG]

19. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Wrong. Like I said before, several times in fact, :joy:the cables don't touch the frame on my bike and are undamaged in nearly 8k miles.

20. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
    #60 Walko, Aug 3, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    then your bike had wrong wired the cable. Maybe luckily avoid damaging, but absolutely wrong build.

the lh cable is installed in SAME position in all bikes (and I checked some), under the brake line. Except, bikes "wrong" build :) as your. If you hadn´t the issue because your cable don´t touch the metal (if it´s under the brake line TOUCH the metal, yes or yes), no sense modify the route as I said as 2021 model, I´m afraid.

all I described is for all SS, and the rubber brake line, yours is affected too and if you look, maybe you detect it too or maybe you haven´t the lock barrel with the plastic "knife" that cause this issue too (and if not, wait some time more).

of course, damage is always done when turn handlebar to right, if you never turn, then not will see the issue, even it´s there.

all street scrambler has the affected cable installed in same way, and it´s this. If some bike isn´t under the brake line, it´s "defective" (luckily), and I didn´t see any with cable in other position that under brake line, and under brake line, always touch the blue dot points metal area.
    [​IMG]