2019-2020 Street Scrambler/street Twin Recall

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by garethr, Sep 7, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    Odd. I've had the recall and don't have one of those bits of plastic fitted.

At least I don't think I have.

2. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    Oh, yes it does!

It makes sense now. The plastic surround for the vin plate has been replaced with a similar one that also covers that lower lug.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
    #23 Walko, Mar 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    check your wiring harness (left control unit, in hole with clutch cable and brake line), even 2019-2020 Street Scrambler, it will be damaged when you turn the handlebar, the metal side is a "knife".

Turn your handlebar and check as the brake line and clutch "press" this harness, it will be cutted. Luckily I detected before toucing cables (only external), but I´m afraid it´s a triumph defect, bad routing and bad metal parts, even if you replace cable, it will be happen again. Very bad Triumphs...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Mine goes in on Wed for the mod. I wrapped a bit of rubber inner tube round the wiring a while back when I found out what the problem was.

5. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
    Previous issue is DIFFERENT to recall (I did mine before), and I don´t understand as Triumph don´t send a new RECALL for this.

Check all this wiring, as SS is designed, all will be gone cutted. Move handlebar to sides and you will notice as the wiring get pressed by brake line and clutch with the metal, and the metal is a square cutting it.

6. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Just had a closer look at mine and there in no metal edge to cut the wiring. The only damage being done is to the clear plastic cover on the VIN label which is being rubbed by the loom when the bars are turned. This is on a 2019/20 model, maybe the earlier one's were different?

7. Daveweld

Daveweld Active Member

Aug 2, 2020
    UK
    I have checked my 2019 SS900. All good as said above.

8. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
    No difference in 2019-2020, mine is 2019 bike.

This area is "edge cutting", a perfect square, the upper side is "rounded" (more sense the under area rounded, but not).

check your movement, and check as this cable is pressed. If you don´t get the issue, you will get (mine 10.000km and I have to move some times handlebar every time I need to get out the garage).

move handlebar to sides, and check this cable, try to move, you will notice it´s absolutely pressed. That´s the problem.

[​IMG]

9. Daveweld

Daveweld Active Member

Aug 2, 2020
    UK
    @Walko. Thanks for posting and with pictures of the harness rubbing/cutting. If left unchecked it would certainly wear the rubber outer sleeve and cut into the wiring. I have checked my 2019 Street Scrambler again. This time I have found the point you are talking about. My bike has 2.500 miles on the clock and I have found early the point it is rubbing into the rubber harness sleeve. I will let the dealer know. Thanks Dave

• Like Like x 1
  10. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
    And check too, the brake line protector (rubber) under the cockpit, touching the key-plastic where will be marked or cutted.

Be ready for a new recall, this is affecting to ALL scramblers, the cable position is BAD DESIGNED, and I don´t understand as Triumph doesn´t test it.

All cables will be cutted, before or later, you will need to replace the left control unit (with cable).

a lot issues I read about random lights or error in dashboard, are for sure due this issue.

If you have a SS with some mileage (ok, if you don´t use the bike, no problem, but if you move handlebar to the right, every time you press and cut it), you will have this issue for sure.

it´s very easy to check, with bike straight, you can pull or push the cable, and you will notice its "soft" and near to free movement... if you move to the left the handlebar, you will notice this cable will be pressed a lot and impossible to pull or press, this is where is cutting it.

Really, triumph and wires seems the eternal issue, a lot recalls about this, and always fails....

11. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I've just been and had another closer look at mine and there is no where any wiring is even close to being damaged. On turning the bars to the right you can feel steering tighten slightly due to the clutch cable but even at this point there is no wiring touching anything sharp. The wiring to the switchgear on the LH bar has plenty of slack in it. Mine was bought in June last year so is probably a late 2019 build. Either this is a production tolerance problem affecting bikes at random or maybe it's been addressed from a certain VIN No.>. There will be a way of ascertaining build date from the VIN but I don't know it. The only sharp edge I can see is where the plastic VIN label cover bolts to the frame and there is no wiring near it. I think this is the part that will be replaced when I take it in for the recall tomorrow. The bike is approaching 5k miles.

12. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
    Maybe I explain wrong about "sharp"... the issue is that the wiring (from left remote) is being pressed, first by clutch cable, and then by brake line. And the metal is touching has 2 parts, upper is rounded, as lower must be, but lower is SQUARE (not sharp), 90º... but when press you are "cutting" (over near 2 years and 10000km mine, not from one day to other), and every time I use the bike, I have to move some times to right and left the handlebar.

If you get pressed the cable when turn handlebar, it´s wrong, and when turn handlebar right and left, you will get fully pressed (damage), that´s for sure, and if not at first time, move handlebar some times to right, left, right left, and at end, you will get pressed with the metal part, the cables.

if you have low milleage, you won´t notice, or only the point where is touching, where it will be damaged for sure, only time.

it´s a defect, it´s a wrong wiring, simply. Any difference in 2020 bikes, same parts and same positions. If you don´t get damaged with time, only because you don´t need to move handlebar too much.

every time you move the handlebar to right, that area is suffering (rubber with metal) and will be cut, simply phisical.

the recall will be easy, REMOVE the wire cables from that metal hole, sharing space with clutch and brake line, that is destroying it.
    there are a lot space out, I don´t know why they put inside, when the clutch cable and brake line, super-rigid, are pressing with metal (damage).

[​IMG]

this is the cables position, in straight position is ok, clutch cable ok, brake cable ok, and lh control cable, ok, a lot slack... and this is the correct (wrong) position in scrambler...when you turn right that cable will be pressed and then start the issue, with the time, And the point where is touching metal, will be marked, and next, cut, and next, internals wires damaged.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
    at this time, lh control will be replaced under warranty (with cable) and dealer will look as put cables to avoid again the problem (it´s a design issue, nothing solved with a new cable, it will be happen again), it was detected that it isn´t ok, and I agree... my suggestion is put out the metal triangle where are the 3 parts sharing space, the electrical cable, not necessary to be there, only a risk.

this will be a recall for sure, to these bikes, again, other, more... maybe these are bikes with very very low milleage, and not noticeable, but if you use a bit, absolutely bad design, and I don´t understand as triumph doesn´t test it, seems a bike designed by childs...

regards

14. Daveweld

Daveweld Active Member

Aug 2, 2020
    UK
    this is the point I found the wear starting to happen. it is slowly wearing the rubber outer harness. You can see a small area where the wear has started.

InkedLH control harness cutting against sharpe edge of frame_LI.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  15. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
    Exactly, that´s the issue, and starting (and the end is broken exterior sleve, and if you don´t detect it, broken internal wires, with the danger to loose ie, lights in the night or other server issues). This must be solved, and fast, with a recall for this model, or a new cable guide with more room, or protecting the metal "square" or simply (if triumph doesn´t want to solve) moveing the cable out of metal guide.

regards

16. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Had the recall mod done this morning and it's just a small plastic cable guide on the frame near the headstock and nothing do do with the VIN label which has somehow got damaged on mine. They tookthe details and are to order a new one from Triumph. The cable damage problem doesn't bother me as mine is fine with no sign of cable trauma.

17. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    If that's the only issue I'd just use a piece of 10mm bore rubber hose, or similar, and make a short protective sleeve for the affected cable.

18. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
    Yes, I did it now (this time, before triumph replace the control lh with cable, and dealer change the routing, since it´s wrong and if it´s installed in same way, it will be happen again). And remember the brake line too¡¡¡¡ the rubber protecting, under cockpit, will be marked and cutted (only the rubber) with the plastic of key (very square too)

Problem, is, as I, that I detected with the broken sleve... but maybe some extra use and would be wire damaged (and random issues, or lights turn off riding night). This is serious.

And protecting actual routing, it´s ok, but you must check as maintenance, because it will be damaged again. Protecting isn´t solving the issue. And with a new bike, not very logical we have to solve these issues.

I will put a video about how it´s failing... remember, damage only occurs when you turn RIGHT the handlebar (when it´s pressed, and with time, cutted the sleve, and next, wires). Maybe a lot people don´t need to move to the right the handlebar, but if you do this movement a lot times, you will get this damaged, as it´s designed now.

Regards

19. Daveweld

Daveweld Active Member

Aug 2, 2020
    UK
    The problem is still with Triumph on the 2019 model forward, NOT with the owner. Anyone can add a section of extra protection. Under warranty this is a TRIUMPH issue not the Owner.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
    More news.... I just check one 2021 model and..... SURPRISE¡¡¡¡ it´s routed different, they know the issue... now, if you check, it´s in the external area (not between brake line damaging with metal, now outside). I don´t know if it solves (but for sure, not cutting with metal area).

Time for recall and move the actual position (where are all damaging) to new.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4