2018 Triumph Speed Triple Rs - 500 Mile Oil Change Problem

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Aurence, May 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Aurence

Aurence Member

May 31, 2018
    Edinburgh
    I received word today from the Dealer who confirmed that the fix is in the latest technical bulletin from Triumph, regarding the correct procedure for changing the engine oil to prevent a 'random' air vacuum occurring - after the old oil and old oil filter have been removed -
    • Leave the new oil filter off the motorcycle

• Fill the engine with new oil

• Fit the new oil filter

• Useful Useful x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Barryscott

Barryscott Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Tupelo, Ms, USA
    confused to the sequence

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    I think it's to ensure the oil flows right to the point where the filter screws on thus preventing any form of air lock from occurring by doing it in the normal sequence. Still it sounds wrong (in this order) and messy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Mike in NH

Mike in NH Member

May 17, 2018
    New Hampshire
    So if I understand correctly, Triumph's latest technical service bulletin doesn't state how they want the new filter installed (oil added to it or not) just add oil to the engine before installing the filter. Right??

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Aurence

Aurence Member

May 31, 2018
    Edinburgh
    I wish I knew the answer to that as I only spoke briefly to the Technical Director from the Triumph Dealership who gave me a courtesy phone call for feedback regarding my experience with the 2nd RS. He mentioned the Technical Bulletin which he receives on a regular basis and which also covers other issues. It obviously requires further and deeper clarification as after the warranty period, I guess some bikers will want to do their own oil and filter changes?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Aurence

Aurence Member

May 31, 2018
    Edinburgh
    I agree and I also appreciate that a large number of bikers who do their own servicing on other motorcycles fill the new oil filter with oil prior to fitting, to prevent an air block occurring BUT apparently this Speed RS has an oil system with oil which sits lower in the sump to assist a lower centre of gravity - although its 3.8 litres seems to be the norm for previous Speed Triples? From the reviews - "A new sump lowers the oil level in the engine, reducing drag and improving weight distribution. The re-routed oil system now runs the oil internally through the head gasket to the cylinder head, allowing for the removal of external oil pipes, improved styling and reduced mass."

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    I would get more clarity from the dealer as to the exact method just for reference and future know how. For now they have to service it to maintain the warranty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mike in NH

Mike in NH Member

May 17, 2018
    New Hampshire
    In most oiling systems the filter is after the oil pump, so there shouldn't be a problem with the new oil leaking from the oil filter connection as long as the engine is not started... lol
    I would like to see a diagram of the new oiling system though.
    I guess the safest route would be to have the dealer service the bike till the warranty is up. By then (hopefully ) more information regarding this condition should be out, maybe even a recall to change a valve or a spring in the oiling system. We'll have to wait and see.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Aurence

Aurence Member

May 31, 2018
    Edinburgh
    I have now clarified the oil and filter change procedure - it is quite lengthy so I have placed it in my review of the RS under the 500 Mile Service Problem Resolved by Triumph part along with some notes from the RS User manual.

There is also an update on the Triumph Assist Quickshifter along with a Technical .pdf from Triumph and it looks like mine will require adjusting?

http://www.lawrencephotographic.com... Triple RS/Triumph Speed Triple RS Review.htm

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Thank you Aurence, very informative.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mike in NH

Mike in NH Member

May 17, 2018
    New Hampshire
    Seams like a simple enough solution, thanks for posting.
    Also it great to hear your replacement RS has been solid. I've enjoyed reading your detailed review .

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Whiterose_uk

Whiterose_uk New Member

Jun 1, 2022
    Uk
    Having just had this problem on a 2019 speed triple RS 1050 and this thread leading me to the cause, I thought I would post our solution to solving the issue. The engine sounded obviously rattly along with the oil pressure warning.

Repeatedly starting stopping, refilling using the new procedure and pre filling the oil filter with oil had all made no difference to solving the noise/oil pressure light.

In the end it was solved by running the bike and cracking off (loosen off) the oil filter at the same time. You will spray oil everywhere so be warned but instantly you could hear the problem solve itself and quickly tightened up the oil filter again. The engine sounds lovely again and got rid of the oil pressure light.

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1