2018 Triumph Speed Triple Rs - 500 Mile Oil Change Problem

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Aurence, May 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Aurence

Aurence Member

May 31, 2018
    Edinburgh
    At the beginning of May, I purchased the new Triumph Speed Triple RS and after enjoying the bike (fantastic bike) I took it in for its 500 mile service on the 25th May. After the Triumph Dealer serviced it and started it up, the oil light stayed on and the RS has been with them ever since. The sump was removed and the engine checked but the problem remains - now Triumph are directly involved to try and resolve the problem. The RS boasts a new style of oil system. I have to laugh at fate - I purchased the RS because I did not think my first choice (the Aprilia 1100 Tuono Factory) would prove reliable.

It would be appreciated if anyone has prior knowledge of this RS problem and can offer a solution.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Hi mate sorry to hear about this. It sure is strange. I'm with Dozers Dad re the outcome. Hope they sort it soon. Did they provide you without a courtesy bike at least ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tony Rokins

Tony Rokins Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Reading, U.K.
    Welcome to the asylum. Sorry to hear you've had a problem. A oil pressure switch is certainly an unusual one. Please let us know what happens
    T

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Aurence

Aurence Member

May 31, 2018
    Edinburgh
    They offered me a bike but I decided to fall back to my Suzuki GSX-1250FA which I have had for a few years and decided to keep when I bought the RS. I hope they can find the problem without taking too much of the engine apart but I have a feeling my RS will have to be sent to Triumph as it is such an unusual fault. I will come back to the forum, when the problem is finally resolved.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I would explore the possibility of rejecting the bike. Just in case this drags on.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Aurence

Aurence Member

May 31, 2018
    Edinburgh
    I did invoke the 30 day clause and the Triumph Dealer offered me a new bike or a full refund. I opted for a brand new Triumph Speed Triple RS replacement, which I should receive within a few weeks. The fault remains unresolved on my original RS and they have promised to inform me of the result - I will pass this on to the forum, when they get back to me.

The RS is too good a bike to pass on!

• Like Like x 8
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Aurence

Aurence Member

May 31, 2018
    Edinburgh
    500 Mile Oil & Filter Service – Oil Light Problem Resolved

Triumph have established that the cause was a vacuum created in the oil distribution system which blocked the oil flow. There is now a correct procedure to follow when changing the oil and filter - done in a specify order to prevent the vacuum occurring.

Triumph will be releasing a service bulletin to its Dealers within the next 48 hours to address this NOW KNOWN PROBLEM which has also manifested itself in several other oil changes on different 2018 Triumph Speed Triple RS motorcycles. If you have a new RS going in for an oil change, make sure the Dealer has the bulletin and is aware of the vacuum problem.

I have still opted for a new bike, which will arrive within a few weeks. Thanks for all the replies to my post.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Good to know as mine is being delivered to the dealer in a week or so.

Thanks for posting and updating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Good to know as mine is being delivered to the dealer in a week or so.

Thanks for posting and updating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tony Rokins

Tony Rokins Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Reading, U.K.
    Interesting to know....
    T

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mike in NH

Mike in NH Member

May 17, 2018
    New Hampshire
    Glad to hear Triumph solved the problem. I'd like to see the service bulletin once it comes out.

Good luck with your new RS. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Wonder if that new procedure is as simple as filling the filter with oil before installing it, so easy to do on these motors as the filter is fitted vertically, can’t think of anything else?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Good move, that engine will have suffered from running without oil pressure and will no doubt give trouble further down the line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I bet Triumph will want to keep this quiet.
    Rectification (rather than a sticking plaster) to stop it happening again would be expensive I would think, assuming it's a design issue with the new oilways causing the vacuum*.....

*Just had a thought, could it be as simple as increasing the oil refill volume as they've reduced the capacity over last years model IIRC?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    I'm happy to hear this was solved. How does it feel to be the very first to experience this?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Aurence

Aurence Member

May 31, 2018
    Edinburgh
    Apparently, it is relative to the order in which the filter and oil are removed and then replaced. I don't know if the new filter has to be filled with oil?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Aurence

Aurence Member

May 31, 2018
    Edinburgh
    Gutted but now happy that Triumph are giving me a new RS. For anyone reading this post, please do not be put off - the Triumph Speed Triple RS is awesome.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Mike in NH

Mike in NH Member

May 17, 2018
    New Hampshire
    Aurence, definitely get the dealership to inform you on the proper sequence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Aurence

Aurence Member

May 31, 2018
    Edinburgh
    I think my dealership has probably gone further than most would do to keep a customer happy. It is rare indeed for a dealer to be so open relative to a sensitive issue. I don't want to push the boundaries of the relationship any further. Triumph is a professional company, they will not knee jerk a response and I expect, like all professional companies, Triumph will come up with a plan, made known to everyone, how to address the 'random' vacuum issue which may occur during an oil and filter change, relative to the Speed Triple RS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Mmm, interesting, it’s normal to drop the oil using the sump plug then remove the filter and there’s obviously only one way to put things back but they know their engines better than me so I’m glad they’ve got a solution. Filling the filter with oil makes sense to me, it avoids that short period of time waiting for the pump to fill it and pressurise the system and I’ve also found it to be more accurate when it comes to the final fill level.

• Agree Agree x 1