2018 Triumph Speed Triple Rs - 500 Mile Oil Change Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Aurence, May 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Aurence

Aurence Member

May 31, 2018
    Edinburgh
    At the beginning of May, I purchased the new Triumph Speed Triple RS and after enjoying the bike (fantastic bike) I took it in for its 500 mile service on the 25th May. After the Triumph Dealer serviced it and started it up, the oil light stayed on and the RS has been with them ever since. The sump was removed and the engine checked but the problem remains - now Triumph are directly involved to try and resolve the problem. The RS boasts a new style of oil system. I have to laugh at fate - I purchased the RS because I did not think my first choice (the Aprilia 1100 Tuono Factory) would prove reliable.

2. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Shame on a new bike ! Mine went back after 50 miles with cam cover oil leak . At least it will get properly sorted now and won't be a risk for later..... Hopefully! Let's hope it's not a generic problem .good luck . It IS a great bike .

3. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Christ that's bad news on a new bike, I hope they have given you a loan bike?
    BTW - I have owned 3 Aprilia's & with the exception of the last one (which was a 10yr old Tuono) never had any problems.

4. Aurence

Aurence Member

May 31, 2018
    Edinburgh
    I refused a loan bike, I did not want the responsibility - I am back on my Suzuki GSX-1250FA and trying to put the RS out of my mind - but missing it's superb handling and the fun factor.

5. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I am getting a Speed RS demo while my Street RS is being serviced this Saturday, looking forward to seeing how it compares to the 17R Speed I tried last year.

6. Aurence

Aurence Member

May 31, 2018
    Edinburgh
    I did invoke the 30 day clause and the Triumph Dealer offered me a new bike or a full refund. I opted for a brand new Triumph Speed Triple RS replacement, which I should receive within a few weeks. The fault remains unresolved on my original RS and they have promised to inform me of the result - I will pass this on to the forum, when they get back to me.

The RS is too good a bike to pass on!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Aurence

Aurence Member

May 31, 2018
    Edinburgh
    500 Mile Oil & Filter Service – Oil Light Problem Resolved

Triumph have established that the cause was a vacuum created in the oil distribution system which blocked the oil flow. There is now a correct procedure to follow when changing the oil and filter - done in a specify order to prevent the vacuum occurring.

Triumph will be releasing a service bulletin to its Dealers within the next 48 hours to address this NOW KNOWN PROBLEM which has also manifested itself in several other oil changes on different 2018 Triumph Speed Triple RS motorcycles. If you have a new RS going in for an oil change, make sure the Dealer has the bulletin and is aware of the vacuum problem.

I have still opted for a new bike, which will arrive within a few weeks. Thanks for all the replies to my post.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Aurence

Aurence Member

May 31, 2018
    Edinburgh
    500 Mile Oil & Filter Service – Oil Light Problem Resolved

Triumph have established that the cause was a vacuum created in the oil distribution system which blocked the oil flow. There is now a correct procedure to follow when changing the oil and filter - done in a specify order to prevent the vacuum occurring.

Triumph will be releasing a service bulletin to its Dealers within the next 48 hours to address this NOW KNOWN PROBLEM which has also manifested itself in several other oil changes on different 2018 Triumph Speed Triple RS motorcycles. If you have a new RS going in for an oil change, make sure the Dealer has the bulletin and is aware of the vacuum problem.

I have still opted for a new bike, which will arrive within a few weeks. Thanks for all the replies to my post.

• Like Like x 1
  9. martinm

martinm Member

Mar 24, 2018
    leicester
    hi. my 2018 speed triple s is with the dealer for the week for its 500 service. rang them about 11am to see if they were aware of this problem. called them back about 4pm today and they said the bike was ready they had no issues with it and said they had asked triumph about any problems and they said that there wasnt any. slightly worrying but they said they hadnt had any problems.

10. Aurence

Aurence Member

May 31, 2018
    Edinburgh
    I spoke to my Triumph Dealer who stated that the oil change issue was random and has not happened to every RS but Triumph would issue a bulletin to Dealers to make sure that the oil change was undertaken in a certain order to avoid the possibility of a vacuum occurring in the RS oil distribution system during a service. I have nothing but praise for my Triumph Dealer who addressed the problem with Triumph and identified how to resolve it. I elected to receive a new RS because I knew that my bike had been started without oil being distributed throughout the engine - I lost confidence in the efficacy of the engine.

11. martinm

martinm Member

Mar 24, 2018
    leicester
    i totally agree with you and was also concerned that my bike might suffer the same fate. what was more worrying is that my dealer couldnt find any info about it. would have thought something so serious would be emailed to all dealers immediately ?.

12. martinm

martinm Member

Mar 24, 2018
    leicester
    i totally agree with you and was also concerned that my bike might suffer the same fate. what was more worrying is that my dealer couldnt find any info about it. would have thought something so serious would be emailed to all dealers immediately ?.

13. Aurence

Aurence Member

May 31, 2018
    Edinburgh
    I am fairly sure that their Dealer 'Technical Directors' will have had a 'swift' telephone call to bring this issue to their attention and to nip it in the bud.

14. Jonboro

Jonboro Member

May 2, 2018
    Middlesbrough
    My rs went in for its 500 miles service i had the front brake resevoir changed and a couple of guards fitted. I went to use it today and the warning tc disabled and the abs light on solid with a code octc on the dash it seems to coincidental that the brakes were worked on and this comes on .

15. Aurence

Aurence Member

May 31, 2018
    Edinburgh
    There is a RESET section in the menu on the TFT screen which might be worth a try? It should reset the bike's electronics, including ABS and TC to default factory settings - just a thought!

16. Jonboro

Jonboro Member

May 2, 2018
    Middlesbrough
    Thanks tried that no joy the dealer is back open tomorrow they will need to sort it cheers

17. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Can't complain about the service.

18. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    So can anyone expand on what this specific process is to stop a vacuum forming on a routine oil change?

I remember working on v8's in years gone by and you had to be mindful of a similar but different issue if the pump was allowed to drain or was disassembled. The pump wasnt capable of self prime so in this case it couldn't create the required vacuum to refill the pump.
    Solution was packing the pump with Vaseline or spinning up the oil drive with a drill after removing the distributor.

19. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    And this reinforces why I sold my 16 Speed Triple R and went back to a 2010
    I want to be able to change the brake oil, service the calipers and do an oil/filter change myself
    What chance do riders have nowadays if even a simple process as changing oil now requires a dealer.
    Sorry to moan but I think technology has gone to far, resulting in greater dependency on dealers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    In this case, it's not technology but poor design from the sound of it.....

p.s. what grade brake oil do you use? :D

• Funny Funny x 1