Tiger Explorer 2018 Tiger 1215

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Perry Martin, Apr 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Perry Martin

Perry Martin New Member

Apr 15, 2019
    Cleethorpes
    I have changed my Gen1 for a Gen3 model but finding the fuel range nearly 35/40 miles less. Also the bike is slower accelerating through the gear box or rolling on in 6th from 40 to whatever speed I get up to. Now I have my friend’s Gen1 to compare it against as we bought the Gen1s at the same time, and our Gen1 bikes were very evenly matched. Does anyone else think the Gen3 bike drinks fuel and is a bit lacking power from previous model.

2. Sparkyphil

Sparkyphil Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Staffordshire
    Can’t comment on the power but I’ve just filled the tank with 13.91 litres and covered 158 miles. Approximately 51.5mpg mainly A/B roads

• Like Like x 1
  3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Are they fitted with arrows exhausts? I’ve heard they can cut mpg a bit

4. Sparkyphil

Jun 12, 2018
    Staffordshire
    Mines got the arrow can

5. Perry Martin

Perry Martin New Member

Apr 15, 2019
    Cleethorpes
    Yes mine has got the arrow can fitted too, I’m not getting that kind of mileage out of it I’m down in the 40’s were the Gen1 would have been in the 50’s.

6. Perry Martin

Perry Martin New Member

Apr 15, 2019
    Cleethorpes
    I checked that and they are all free.

7. Sparkyphil

Jun 12, 2018
    Staffordshire
    What mileage as your bike done?

8. Perry Martin

Perry Martin New Member

Apr 15, 2019
    Cleethorpes
    I’ve just gone past the 4K marker.

9. Sparkyphil

Jun 12, 2018
    Staffordshire
    Can you go back to the dealer and take the demo bike out for comparison?

10. Perry Martin

Perry Martin New Member

Apr 15, 2019
    Cleethorpes
    Oh yeah that’s not a bad idea just for comparison, the thing is since I have spoken about it to other people they have noticed the same but thought cis the bike is booked at being better on fuel it just must be. The only problem for me is I still have a Gen1 to go up against.

11. Perry Martin

Perry Martin New Member

Apr 15, 2019
    Cleethorpes
    Oh yeah that’s not a bad idea just for comparison, the thing is since I have spoken about it to other people they have noticed the same but thought cis the bike is booked at being better on fuel it just must be. The only problem for me is I still have a Gen1 to go up against.

12. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    When i got my 1050se, for the first 1000 mile ride outs i was only getting low 40's. Now it's done 5000 miles in my ownership and riding it more relaxed, it's now returning 51.7 mph. Mostly B roads. Due to yours being a newer gen3 model maybe you will have to adjust your riding style a bit. Every time manufactures makes updates on vehicles, newer models always seem like they lost a bit of grunt on the way and use more fuel.

13. Sparkyphil

Jun 12, 2018
    Staffordshire
    You could always pinch one of your mates plug caps

14. Perry Martin

Perry Martin New Member

Apr 15, 2019
    Cleethorpes
    Just an update I have done my own fuel calculations after a ride out with both Gen1 and Gen3 bikes. It seem the Gen1 onboard computer is nearly accurate returning 56mpg and after fuelling up my calculations said 55.7 mpg, the Gen3 onboard computer was showing 50.4 but after fuelling up and my maths it was 55.6. So trip computer is junk on Gen3. But when comparing any sprint or torque test the Gen3 is still down on power why would this be .

15. Sparkyphil

Jun 12, 2018
    Staffordshire
    Are you any further forward with your lack of power issue??

16. Perry Martin

Perry Martin New Member

Apr 15, 2019
    Cleethorpes
    Well the power is delivered differently from the Gen1 so I have to be a bit more Erving to get it going, but triumph have had my bike for 10 days so far trying to sort out the fuel calculations that are wrong on it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Perry Martin

Perry Martin New Member

Apr 15, 2019
    Cleethorpes
    Update from Triumph Hinckley they are aware of the problem with the Gen3 bike so if you have one do the math calculations yourself to see what fuel you are getting compared to what the bike is telling you then tell your dealership that it’s not right. Triumph have this issue on a back burner and it’s not going to get fixed till it’s reported enough.