2018 Street Twin Turn Signal Idicator Failure

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Notso, Jul 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    #1 Notso, Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Just wanted to let you know what I found today when my front left turn signal indicator stopped working.

First thing I noticed was the rapid blinking of the green arrow on the speedo when indicating to turn left. Had a good look and noticed the front left wasn't flashing, got the bulb out when I got home, but it did not look blown so I swapped it with the right hand side and confirmed the bulb was good. Got the multimeter out and got no power at the end of the wires into the bulb holder so fault not in the bulb holder. Followed the cable back to the headlight, undid the headlight bezel and removed the plastic cable tidy behind the headlight (it's like half a bowl and holds the cables away from the headlight). I followed the cables from the bulb to two in connectors, I sprayed the entire area with switch cleaner, let it dry for a bit and tried the indicator, all working! I am not 100% sure if it is the cleaning or if there was a physical problem that my fiddling sorted it. I sprayed the area with ACF50 using my compressor, put it back together carefully and it seems to be working. Will keep an eye on it as not totally satisfied I understand what was wrong.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Nayshun1

Nayshun1 New Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Houston Texas

Both my Indicators went out over the weekend, and I thought it had something to do with a new headlight I installed, after taking the headlight off I noticed if I moved the wire harness around the flashers would work so I assumed the plug was not plugged in correctly... I removed the back of my clocks and saw the plug was fine, no issues but inside the harness there must be a short because i turn the steering and now when I turn the bars hard left the lights will go out, I also noticed my high beams don't work any more. As I looked on line I found out that there was a recall for my bike for this very specific problem. Looks like I'm going to the dealer...

My bike is a 2017 Triumph Street Cup

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/308406/recall-triumph-bonneville-street-motorcycles/

3. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    That sounds like it could be the clutch cable chafing issue. If you look on the left hand side of the head bearing where the clutch cable crosses the wiring loom you can see if the clutch cable has worn into the loom.

• Like Like x 1