2018 Street Scrambler Starting Problems

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Scrambledbrain, Oct 4, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Scrambledbrain

Scrambledbrain New Member

Oct 4, 2020
    USA North Carolina
    I have a 2018 Street Scrambler that will not start. I went out to start the bike one morning and this happened. The battery is new, the neutral light doesn't come on, the high beam light doesn't work, the fuel gauge doesn't work, and the fuel pump does not activate when the key is turned on. The ABS light is flashing and the oil light is a on solid. I have tried to access the ecu via TuneECU with several different adapters OBDII LX, MX+, and OBDII usb with an android device and a laptop. They all say "cannot communicate with ecu. They all connect but after a short time they error out. The key is on and the kill switch is in the run position. Is this an ECM problem? I have tried loading the #30097 fuel mapping from TuneECU, it will not load nor will the recovery map load. any help would be appreciated. My only other choice is to take the bike to the dealer but the closest one is over an hour away and the bike is out of warranty.

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Notwithstanding the newness of the battery it is the first thing to suspect. Have you charged it fully or tried jumping from a car battery (not running)?

3. Scrambledbrain

Oct 4, 2020
    USA North Carolina
    The battery is holding at around 13.7 volts. I have a multi amperage charger connected. The old battery is probably still in good shape seeing as how it is only a couple of years old and was kept on a tender when in storage. I just replaced it thinking that was the problem without really checking any voltages. the LCD does light up and do its startup cycle but, then when the starter button is pressed there is no clicking or anything.

4. Scrambledbrain

Oct 4, 2020
    USA North Carolina
    Thanks for your help. After more investigation (removing the headlight assembly) I did find some major wear on the wiring harness. There are several wires that are showing wear all the way through to the copper. The bike is not on the recall list, it is an earlier VIN. I did call Triumph of North America, they told me to take it to the closest dealer for and inspection. They told me out of "good faith" it should be covered but the dealer has to hash it out with Triumph of the UK. My fingers are crossed because the harness is probably expensive and I think the problem has cooked either the instrument cluster or the ECU. I will keep you posted.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell