Scrambler 2016 Triumph Scrambler

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by hinuku, Oct 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. hinuku

hinuku New Member

Oct 10, 2019
    California
    Hi,

I just bought a 2016 Triumph Scrambler. It has 22,000 miles. I have a couple questions.

1) What bothers me most is the exhaust heat. Mainly, my upper right thigh gets hot, I feel it even at slower speeds - not just when stationary. The heat dissipates through the area between the heat shields and the frame where there is a gap without heat shields so it goes straight up, heating up my thigh. I was wondering what I can do to resolve this? Do you think it is running lean? Or maybe it is the air injection system people mention on forums? Maybe it needs new spark plugs? I do get backfiring on occasion. I almost always ride in temperatures between 80F and 95F so I need to solve this issue to make it more bearable.

2) Also, I am worried about what I think is a valve clicking noise. It sounds a bit metallic but isn't too loud. Do you think it needs valve adjustment? Could the engine have been damaged by riding without valve adjustment for a while by the previous owner?

3) On cold starts, I usually have to pull out the "fake electronic choke" to increase the revs. Otherwise it dies. I just need to increase the revs for 5 seconds and then it is fine. Do you know what needs to be adjusted?

Thanks! I appreciate any help.

2. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Sorry can’t help with the first 2 parts of your question but having had 3 of the Bonneville 865 air cooled bikes including a 2016 I always had to use the ‘choke’ on cold starts just for a short time otherwise it died without revs. All the bikes were new and the dealership when handing over my 1st one said I’d need to use the choke when cold...so just think it’s a characteristic of that particular engine. I’ve since had 2 of the 900 Street Scramblers and no problem at all on either of these with excessive heat so maybe someone more knowledgeable can help you out on that score... either that or just move to England where it’s quite a lot colder than where you are ☃️ (joke!!!)