2016 Street Twin Front Sprocket Swap

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Obsidian, Sep 6, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Obsidian

Obsidian New Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Ipswich
    Ahoy fellows,

I have just purchased a 19 tooth front sprocket to exchange for the original 17 tooth front sprocket. Just to give it some more legs on long runs. Off to the Bike Loft in Belgium shortly.

The local dealer has just suggested that the speedo sensor is linked to the front sprocket thus if the sprocket is swapped this will alter the reading of the speedo-metor ?

So, is this correct as I would have imagined that a reading would have been taken from the final drive shaft ?

Additionally, he mentioned a fixed called a 'healing sensor' albeit from another model.

I would be grateful if anyone could offer any information or clarify.

Thanks in advance

Mike

2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    On the old Bonnevilles, which had a mechanical speedo drive from the front hub, changing the front sprocket made no difference to the speedo reading.
    Changing it on the later models with a sensor rather than a mechanical drive will affect the reading. You can adjust the speedometer reading by percentage if you are familiar with using Tune ECU on your laptop to accommodate the new sprocket or even just adjust you readings to match a satnav. Speedometers generally under read slightly by about 6 to 7%.