2016 Speed Triple S - are kits available to desmog it?

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by desertspeedy, Oct 3, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. desertspeedy

desertspeedy Senior Member

Jul 28, 2016
    N. Phoenix, AZ, USA
    I live stateside and we do not have to pass emissions testing here. It appears that the stock tune is very lean by examining the spark plugs. Ambient temperatures are extremely high here so I want to richen the mixture. It seems that kits are sold for previous models to plug the air injected into exhaust, fool the sensor and such. I have also seen lambda probe removal kits with exhaust bung and other bits. My ultimate goal is cooler running so of course the cat will have to go as well. Anyone done this yet with a 2016?
    Thoughts on the parts?

CHEERS,

Chris

2. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Not sure how accessible the ECU is on a 2016 Speedie, if you are able to access it via TuneECU, you could reduce the temprature that the fan kicks in at, mid to high 95-98 centigrade
    If it is running lean and hot, you may try a cooler runing spark plug
    Remove the o2 sensor as you have mentioned, would help it run richer as the o2 sensor is purely there to override the ECU into running lean at particular revs to meet environmental, tree hugging, safe space, fun dumping legislations. So removing it may be a step in the right direction, but check your local laws as it may be necessary to pass any vehicle testing standards.

The SAI (Secondary Air injector) wouldn't bring down the tempreture as its function is to inject air after the combustion to cause an after bang (for want of a better word) and burn off any unburnt fuel
    Removing or blanking the SAI would stop the rather characteristic pops and burbles on the over run as you slow down with the throttle closed.

I haven't really answerd your concerns but may give you insight into other directions to reduce your temperature issues.

• Like Like x 3
  3. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Go to tuneecu web site check your bike vin model etc , or maybe contact Alain Fontaine he wrote the code, he will know for certain if tuneecu will work for your bike.

Blanking off the SAI if your bike has it won't affect the temperature your bike runs at, but if you go ahead you will find that car sump plugs are the go! Did my America with same. About $15 each here in Aus.

• Like Like x 1
  4. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Chris, if the SAI plumbing on your bike is like on most Triumphs then there will be a pipe coming from the airbox to the AI control solenoid.

Assuming this is the case, you can on a temporary basis use a a marble or similar object to block this pipe and stopping the air reaching the headers. This will allow them to run cooler.

However, there may be counter effects on the readings reported by the O² sensor (as there will be less oxygen in the exhaust gas stream therefore no secondary burning of unburnt fuel). This could result in the modifying of fuelling by the ECU.

The only way I know of, to get a modern fuel-injected bike to run reliably and controllably richer is by:

1. Removing the SAI and O² sensor and re-map the bike's ECU; plus

2. Removing the catalytic converter (as it may get damaged by running a richer mixture - maybe a bit theoretical here as I don't know how much higher mixture the cat will handle before damage commences.

• Like Like x 1
  5. desertspeedy

desertspeedy Senior Member

Jul 28, 2016
    N. Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Deeply appreciate all the thoughts on this. My shop has ordered up the correct springs for my S model suspension so soon I'll have that info to share with you other heavier riders. This shop has lots of experience removing the catalytic element so that is a go. They advocate leaving the O2 sensor but using a wideband sensor for better metering accuracy. Going to go with a low mount collector type of exhaust so need to research those next. Shop says add a Power Commander and dyno once the cat is gone and the low pipe is in place. Apparently the 2016 ECU is not crackable by them. This is an independent shop and the owner is a successful privateer racer. More to follow.
    CHEERS,
    Chris