2016 Speed Triple Fuel Gauge Accuracy

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Pieter, Sep 18, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Pieter

Pieter New Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Sydney Australia
    Greetings

According to my calculations, when my fuel gauge reads 0km range to empty, I actually have around 30km (18 miles). At this stage I can usually refill no more than 13.5 litres of the supposed 15.5 litres available.

Can my fellow Speed Triplers confirm this?

Pieter

2. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    #2 Col_C, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Never been brave enough to run it to zero, usually fill when - light comes on / 2 bars / 40mls range, from memory can get 11 -12 litres in, and usually done about 140-150mls at that point. I suspect tank capacity and usable capacity might not be the same thing, pick-up to the pump is probably going to leave some fuel in the bottom. Never a good idea to draw the crap in the bottom of the tank through the system, but I'm guessing distances between petrol stations is greater in your neck of the woods.
    (2015 Speed Triple 94R)

3. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    My 2016 Speed Triple fuel light come on at 30miles remaining with premium fuel and 20 miles on standard fuel
    I fill up by about 11.2 to 11.5 litres to very full of a 15 litre capcity

I get 120 miles on the 11.5 litres I use so that leaves 36 miles remaining- so I would say the trip computer is fairly accurate...I wouldn't risk waiting for it to read 0 before I fill up

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Fuel pumps don't like being run dry, the fuel is used for both cooling & lubrication.
    I suspect a new fuel pump and recovery on a truck will be expensive, so I would suggest as others do leave yourself a good margin for filling up!

• Like Like x 1
  5. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    do you notice any benefits using premium petrol,do you mean higher octane or the fuel with so called detergents/extra power claims,if i fill tank tottaly full miles to go shows about 180 ish miles.

6. Ali G

Ali G Member

Feb 6, 2017
    Kirkcaldy
    I only use the super unleaded fuels, notice a difference with the throttle response definitely feels crisper

Ali

7. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    The fuel pump being submerged in fuel also stops it going up in flames! Introduce some oxygen and a few sparks on the commutator and it gets exciting. :)

8. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I do yes. I use Shell V-Power. I find it a bit more responsive on the throttle, and more pops n' burbles on the over run.
    I use it more for the cleansing properties than any perceived power improvements, the Speed Triple has far more power than I am capable of controlling:imp:
    I do notice an improvement in mileage as I get about 20-25 more miles on a tank which in my mind makes up somewhat for the increase in cost.

When I change the oil, I reckon the oil is cleaner with much less carbon deposits. (first oil change on the 16' not long after I got it and the oil was black n sooty - my last bike at same change intervals and the oil was much more slick and fresher)
    In my last Speed Triple, I ran it for 2 years with premium on and off and on its 12k miles valve check, it came back well within factory allowances, in fact Triumph M40 they said it was still within tolerance of a freshly build engine.

So I now use only premium, the additional £ per tank isn't a big dent in my wallet

• Like Like x 1
  9. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    that's good to know i did notice the r1 seemed a bit better using flower and the likes,so next fill up i will try this rather than the supermarket standard petrol and see what results i get.

10. Pieter

Pieter New Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Sydney Australia
    Thanks Col for the input. Good point on contaminants with an empty tank. My thinking is there are still 2 whole litres left when reading empty. No problem with number of petrol stations down here on my urban jungle commute! It's more the paltry fuel tank capacity meaning I have to refuel every 4 days. If I could stretch that to 5...