2016 model - is it worth trading my 2014 for one?

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by alanm, Jan 19, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. alanm

alanm Well-Known Member

May 13, 2016
    Swansea
    I'm thinking of trading my mint 5000mile 14 plate for a new one. Is the performance improvement (presuming there is one) worth the money.
    I know I can just go and get a test ride but nothing beats getting the experience of actual ownership.
    Any views??

2. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    #2 tcbandituk, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    If it's anything like the difference between the old and new Tiger Sport, yes !
    I test rode a new Speed Triple before getting my TS. I would have had the Speed Triple but the riding position put too much weight on my wrists :( More so than the old Speed did.

The main differences to the 1050 engine aren't so much the outright performance so much as much better gearbox shifting, better fuelling, especially in on/off throttle positions. Also, the Speed is slightly narrower in the seat/tank area, so doesn't feel quite so tall.

It might also be worth considering the new Street Triple RS, it's a smaller engine but with a lot less weight, it actually works out to be virtually the same power to weight ratio as the Speed. :)

3. desertspeedy

desertspeedy Senior Member

Jul 28, 2016
    N. Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Gearbox is measurably better most certain. I can't notice a big difference in power from older models though yet I will say I love my 2016 enough to be spending massive money upgrading the suspension (and helping the UK economy....smile) to make it perfect for me. It is a keeper!

4. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    More refined is about all i can say but worth going for the R as its just so smooth :)

5. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Depends how much they will give you for your bike,you might find it's better to sell privately if you can, if it was me i'd keep the 14 for a couple of years yet..5000 miles is barely run in:)

• Like Like x 1
  6. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    I've owned a 2015 and now have a 2016. I wouldn't bother unless you get a deal you can't turn down.
    There are changes, some you will notice others you won't.
    I was told how smooth the new gearbox now is, but can't recall the old one being bad?
    Don't like all the electronic's (mode's) on the new one, to much to fiddle with.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I have a 2015 and I've ridden a 2016 R and I wouldn't swap. Personally I didn't like the ride by wire throttle, like the MT 09 I had before (but nowhere near as bad) it seemed to surge slightly on part throttle, just the electronics trying to keep the emissions low I know but I didn't think it was a nice enough ride to consider changing.

8. topbanana0

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    I know what you mean about 'surging' like you said electronic's.
    I think manufacturers are going to far, seen cornering lights on a ktm....ffs

9. alanm

alanm Well-Known Member

May 13, 2016
    Swansea
    Seems to be a common thread here, sounds like triumph need to make bigger changes if they're ever gonna better an already great bike.
    I'm generally happy with my 2014 just get a bit restless with it stored for the winter. Time to spend on goodies instead

• Like Like x 1
  10. 711jrp

711jrp Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    south london
    I have the 2015 R and was very excited about the 2016 before the launch as I'm a serial speedy owner having a 2013 non R abs previously, reading the specs and seeing the bike in the flesh I was less excited, after riding the bike I booked a test on the S1000R.......(which I didn't like)

11. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    and that's what makes the choice entirely personal cos probably the only bike I'd "possibly" change for is the S1000R given that I enjoyed the S1000RR so much. See left.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    It obviously is a very subjective thing as my mate, who has a 2013 Speed, also thinks the gearbox/fuelling on the 2016 is much better.
    The only way to tell for yourself is to take a test ride.....

13. 711jrp

711jrp Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    south london
    I think the 2015r had some revisions to the gearbox over 2013 maybe that why I didn't feel much difference.
    Just to clarify, it's not that I didn't like the 2016, I loved it, It's just that I didn't find it much improvement over mine and slightly less well specked for a chunk of extra money. If the bike had 25 or so extra horses it probably would of swung it for me.

14. 711jrp

711jrp Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    south london
    I was really hoping to fall in love with the R, Park lane BMW was doing me a great deal on a new one against my bike, worked out very nearly two bags lighter than the new speedy which is a lot of money to me. I had a go on the RR just for the crack and it'll be hard to convince me that thing isn't from another planet.

15. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    It must be the weather I'm thinking of selling my 2016 S:rolleyes::D

16. topbanana0

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    I'm happy with my speedy atm, but when the time comes I'll do the rounds. Would like to try the bmw...but I find lots of naked bike aren't naked enough.
    My mate got a z800, but like lots of others, there's to much bodywork on them.
    I don't care about the numbers, 0-60 etc I buy on looks, and think the Triumph is the only true naked.
    The nearest I think is the MV, but found my local dealer less than helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  17. oi-nobbie

oi-nobbie New Member

Jan 21, 2017
    north london
    for what its worth .. i did ..dont regret it. 07 bugeye 11&.14r all felt tall and a little top heavy , im 5"8 and not light- narrower seat slightly more aggressive stance , where more of a factor than rider controls

18. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Whether or not you intend doing your own servicing/ maintenance is also a significant factor. That's why I got a '94R while they were still available.

• Like Like x 1
  19. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

Oct 5, 2013
    suffolk
    I tried the new speed while my 94R was having its first service I thought it was like night and day just felt smoother looks better and doesn't feel such a big old girl. If dealer had of come up with the right deal I would of Defo had one, glad I didn't now as I traded it in today on a cbr1000rr.

20. Gerry

Gerry Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Gateshead, Tyne & Wear,
    I was told by my local dealer that there was very little difference in power between the new one and my 2011, He offered me a good deal on a new one but said I should test ride it as I might be disappointed, only thing that interested me on the new one was the slipper clutch, The screen on the new one is a lot lower than the 2011 and doesn't seem to offer the same protection, so sticking with my 2011 for now