2014 Bonneville 865 Engine Oil Leak

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by PETER CLARKE, Jun 18, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Hi all, purchased this bike last in October 2019 but I only have been using it more this month June 2020, I noticed after riding and the bike standing for a while a engine oil leak:(.

I cleaned all oil away with carburetor cleaner and allowed it to become bone dry then started engine and run till hot, switched off and looked for this oil leak, located coming from between the upper cooling fins of the cylinder head and not from any gaskets.

I made my mind up to use a small amount of liquid metal by pushing it deep into the cavity from where this oil was coming from after cleaning it up again.

The following day rechecked for leak, all dry.

how good is liquid metal for a repair like this ??

2. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Could you post a photo or two showing the leak, I don't like the idea of liquid metal in this sort of area and at best it will only be a temporary repair.

Members on here will give advice and opinions having seen where the oil is coming from.

3. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Sounds like a porous cylinder head , not very common. I've only heard of one other ! And that was an early 1975/78 Laverda Jota ..
    My Mate Eric had his jota'head off twice before it was concluded that the head was porous.

4. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    never heard of liquid metal could you tell me what its brand name is would be handy for many things thanks

5. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    It’s just a fancy bodyfiller found at most motor factors

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    Thanks for that

7. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    #7 MadMrB, Jun 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    My guess would be that it is coming from the cam cover, it is fairly common, and it may not be obvious exactly where the oil is coming from. You could check the cam cover bolts are at the correct torque, but don't over tighten. Failing that replace the camcover gasket, bolts and the compression washers (or whatever they are called).

Mine did the same and I replaced the gasket, bolts and washers, which fixed it for a while, however recently its started leaking again. It's only a very tiny amount of oil leaking, so for now I just wipe the engine fins with blue roll after a ride. Next time I have the cam cover off I may use a very thin layer of gasket seal with a new gasket and see if that fixes it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    It's has to be the head that is porous, at least I have proofen that, I will wait till it leaks again then remove head at get a pro to weld it up, thanks for help so far and will give you a update in a month or so

10. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Sure it's JB high heat epoxy putty sold on ebay for about £8.50

11. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Trust me, not leaking from any gaskets.

12. PETER CLARKE