2014 America - Just A Click When Trying To Start

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Oddball, Aug 28, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Oddball

Oddball New Member

May 22, 2017
    Canberra, Australia
    Hi - I have an America 2014 and let the battery run down. Bought a charger and after a few hours she started up fine. Took for a 30 km run and all was good.

Anyway, came to start her after about 4 weeks and all she does is click when trying to start. All the lights are on, horn works fine and the instrument lights come on and go off correctly. I put the battery back on the charger and it says fully charged.

Can anyone help please?

Cheers

2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

It must have at least 12.6v in the battery or the ECU won't let it start

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The efi bikes are highly sensitive to voltage issues. As dilligaf says, the computer it say no.....

If your charger is not the smart type but rather an old fashioned trickle jobbie - and you are an intermittent bike user - then a smart charger will pay for itself in battery life never mind boiled blood at the sound of frustrating clicks.

I had a Ctek that died and found the replacement Ring every bit as good. Basic models are about £35.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bu...gers-jump-starters/ctek-xs0-8-battery-charger

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00S8AL8CS?ref=emc_b_5_t

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I would say that almost certainly your battery is buggered, but to check ensure the battery is correctly connected (no crud on the terminals) then connect a car battery using jumper cables. If the bike starts now it shows the weakness is the bike battery and needs replacing, as it is no longer holding it's charge.

6. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Shitty can-bus system playing games

7. Oddball

Oddball New Member

May 22, 2017
    Canberra, Australia
    Hi and thanks for the reply.

Before I order one of these trickle chargers I just want to check something. The ctek one has ring connections which I do like the idea of but I'd like to check with you that if I keep the ring connectors on is there any danger of any battery charge leaking through them?

Apologies if this is a very stupid question.

8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The ctek normally has 2 means of connection - a wee strap with rings to effect a permanent connection at the battery and crocodile clips. Both attach via the same 2 pin socket 3/4 of the way up the lead. You can tuck the ring connector behind the side panel. The only battery leakage is to the canbus set up!