2013 Headstock Torque Settings

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by topbanana0, May 15, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Looking to service my mates headstock (regrease etc)
    I did have the torque settings, but iPads packed in, and lost them.
    I need setting for
    Adjuster nut
    Lock nut
    Upper yoke nut
    Also if you can share some tips, that would be helpful. When rebuilding, I think you have to over tighten the adjuster nut, then slacken off and retighten to torque setting?
    Also I think they recommend replacing the washer between the adjuster nut and lock nut?
    Cheers

2. youngy

youngy Active Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Peterborough
    I have a pdf of the service manual. PM me.

3. David Milton

David Milton New Member

Apr 23, 2019
    UK
    Hi
    I've been looking for a service manual for months with no luck, only find odd pages of information for the 2016 / 17 speed triple.
    Would it be possible if I could have a copy please, or guide me in the direction of getting one???
    Many thanks
    Dave

4. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    There is no need to replace the washer , it's just a spacer ! It only requires replacing if it's scored or damaged , as that can affect torque reading on tightening.
    I've never bothered with torque setting for stearing head's on any of my bike's. I've just used the overtighten and release and retighten method, set it up where the head stem turn's freely and there is no lateral movement in the fork legs ! Then lock up with top nut !

5. David Milton

David Milton New Member

Apr 23, 2019
    UK
    Just done my bike head stock, the washer is a tab washer, hence it does not over tighten the lower nut, but I did use a "C" spanner on the lower one, but did not need it.
    Lower nut was nearly finger tight, these bad roads bash the hell out of the head stock, but no damage to the race. Now no click when braking :)
    Torque settings I found on You Tube, said to be for 2016/2017 Speed Triple
    Upper Yoke Pinch bolts 20Nm
    Upper York Centre Nut 90Nm. My one was not at this torque, about 50Nm???
    Handle Bar Clamps 26Nm, it said do up front bolts first!
    Crown adjuster nut if replaced bearings, 40Nm, back off then 15Nm
    I just used the 15Nm as old bearing (7000 miles) I understand the 40Nm is to set the bearings fully home.
    Crown Upper Lock Nut 40Nm
    NOTE:
    I took the brake lever assembly off the handle bars and kept it upright, then took the handle bars off. Do not turn the reservoir upside down as I have seen!
    Took about 50 mins to do using a side lift.
    Garage was going to charge £250, got the 38mm 1/2" drive socket and special crown nut tool from a popular online auction site for £41!!!

• Like Like x 1