2012 Speedmaster Gear Change Linkage Arm

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Tel Boy, Sep 20, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tel Boy

Tel Boy Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Devon
    Do you think the wear is the blind bolt or in the lever itself, guess it could be both eh Walob?

2. walob

walob Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Westcliff on Sea
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. walob

walob Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Westcliff on Sea
    Been thinking about all this aggro, might be just aswell biting the bullet and getting the proper stuff that way it’ll be the right parts for the job as opposed to bodging a job that might let me down when I’m in France next year......Mmmmm £120 for the whole assembly, a lot of dosh but peace of mind......Mmmmm. Fowlers ain’t got any stock so if ya thinking about parts Tel ya gonna ave to go World of Triumph :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tel Boy

Oct 23, 2017
    Devon
    I know what you mean bud, I'm gonna wait and see what the quality of the ball & sockets are like before i make my mind up.

• Like Like x 1
  5. walob

walob Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Westcliff on Sea
    Yer might do the same, might even be a winter job, keep me up to date what you do Tel it’ll be interesting who f##£s up the most!! :joy::joy::grinning:

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Tel Boy

Oct 23, 2017
    Devon
    Hi Walob
    Just got those ball and sockets from interweb, not great bud, the amount of movement in the ball and socket is just not usable IMHO. So think i'm going to have to go for the whole set from world of triumph, hey ho !!

7. walob

walob Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Westcliff on Sea
    Hi Telboy, yes mate I thought the same when my ones arrived, very sloppy, even packed out with grease they were still loose, I succumed to the Triumph way and bought the complete fan dango, I’m glad I did cos the wobble on the gear selector was due to the wear on the inside of the foot peg!! Plus the ball joints were loose aswell, expensive? Yes, worth it? Most definatley! A hell of alot better changing up n down gear now!

9105153B-394A-4F66-A2E5-C22E7F2E5071.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tel Boy

Oct 23, 2017
    Devon
    Nice one, glad you got it sorted, I might give these a go
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-pair-2...m=142532042672&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

If they are no good then i will do the same as you.

9. walob

walob Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Westcliff on Sea
    I meant to say “inside the gear selector”! Where the footpeg goes through! Durrrr! Don’t get old Telboy! lol.

What you gonna put on the other end? Olive with a bolt? Bolt through it and hope it wont be too chunky? Keep me informed Tel :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tel Boy

Oct 23, 2017
    Devon
    Just thought I would give an update with a few pics, so I cut off the original ball and sockets and replaced them with the Rose type rod end bearings (as in the link above) secured with a couple of allen head bolts with locking nuts. The difference is night and day now, with no slop, and can now easily find neutral too. Happy days ! Total cost about £10

20181128_115431.jpg

20181128_115549.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. walob

walob Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Westcliff on Sea
    Nice one Tel! Thats a way better job than the previous Junk bits that we both bought, nice! Are you gonna put a rubber boot over that packed with grease?

• Like Like x 1
  12. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Very neat :)
    A well done job :cool:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Tel Boy

Oct 23, 2017
    Devon
    Thanks Walob, yes I am i just left them off for the pics, it's amazing the difference eh ?

• Like Like x 1