2012 Speedmaster Gear Change Linkage Arm

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Tel Boy, Sep 20, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tel Boy

Tel Boy Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Devon
    Hi Guys
    Had the mot today, glad to say it passed, happy days !!
    But one thing that was mentioned was that there was quite a bit of excess movement on the gear change lever, it seems to be mostly coming from the ball joints that go through the levers, but not the actuall ball and socket if that makes sense. Anyway I can't seem to find any spare parts for this at all and wondered if you could shed any light on where to get spares.

Cheers

El Tel

2. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    • Like Like x 1
  3. walob

walob Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Westcliff on Sea
    What a crappy site that is....everything is either out of stock or no longer available ?????! I’ve got the same problem as Tel boy as he said no info anywhere not in the manual or out there on the web??!

4. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Did you try ringing them or one of the other main dealers ?

You could always try World of Triumph

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph-motorcycle-parts.html

however they are a bit dearer than most

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tel Boy

Oct 23, 2017
    Devon
    It is a bit strange as you would think that it is a part that would be plentiful. Mine has the wear where it passes through the lever that is att

6. walob

walob Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Westcliff on Sea
    Yes mate its the ball joints thats the problem not the balls but the ball cups, I’ve seen 3 sizes 10 mm 14 mm and 16mm, and christ knows what the rod size is! cos you got to marry both the ball cups to the rod size?? there ain’t nothing in my Haynes manual about the problem at all!!!
    Dunno bout your ball cups but mine is a right pain to get off! I was gonna pull it apart tonight but we got a meet on tomorrow so don’t wanna miss that if I bugger the linkage up! lol. If you do get something mate put it on here can ya? And I’ll do the same if I find something ;)

7. walob

walob Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Westcliff on Sea
    Oldyam thank you mate, least I gleamed some useful info that its a M6 linkage bolt, now I can go on ebay for the boots (£6 for 2) rather than £8 for 1 on that Triumph site!!!! I’ll phone that other site up for a left and right ball cup Monday but still not sure on the size of the actual ball size if it’ll fit the ball cup?

Thanks again mate.

8. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Normally the ball and cup come as a single assembly, you may need to buy one LH & one RH and then drill out and tap the levers to fit the ball assemblies that way any later replacement is easy, if its something you dont want to do any engineering shop should be able to sort you out if you have the parts on hand at a sensible price.
    The ball and socket joints are fitted to boot struts and are made removable with a spring clip holding them in place.
    Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  9. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    You know I was eBay quite some time ago. And someone on there was selling gear lever without the ball and joints. Can't for the life of me remember who it was but I will have a good search through my deleted mails on eBay. sorry I know this is of no help but I'll try. But I would try like Nigel said phone around till I found one.
    Ride Safe
    Joe

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tel Boy

Oct 23, 2017
    Devon
    Blimey I didn't know there were different sizes this is turning out to be a right pain in the a#*e, I will let you know if I get any where bud !

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. walob

walob Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Westcliff on Sea
    Good info Oldyam thanks again mate, as for tapping n dying nutz to that mate!! lol, I’ll get a mate to do that! I’ll phone Triumph at Romford tomorrow see if they can source the bits I need, I’d rather get the right ones than mucking about with something that might fit!!

Have a good weekend guys n stay safe!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. walob

walob Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Westcliff on Sea
    Have since found out after taking it apart its the aluminium lever itself. Where the ball pin goes in the hole, that has expanded so I either need a small stainless bush or another lever. I have been on different sites looking and ebay have a couple for different Triumph models, (not too sure if the splined diameter will be the same across all models?) and at different angles, but I would imagin all would fit?? Plus the footpeg is loose where the foot gear lever is needs a spacer washer to take up slop.

I’ll see what I can find tomorrow when the shops open

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    • Like Like x 2
  14. walob

walob Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Westcliff on Sea

Well done Oldyam I’m in the garage now, just took it apart its not only the gear lever thats sloppy but also the 2 ball cups so your find will be a great help mate thank you!!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Youre welcome its something I'm familiar with from one of my previous employments so had an idea what would work.
    Glad its been of help

• Like Like x 2
  16. walob

walob Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Westcliff on Sea
    Just ordered them parts Oldyam, thank you once again mate ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Tel Boy

Oct 23, 2017
    Devon
    Thanks Oldyam, I have just ordered them, and at that price doesn't matter if there not right.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. walob

walob Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Westcliff on Sea
    Tel boy, the only problem I can see is getting the old bits off? Because its on a blind bolt, its gonna ave to be cut off with a fine blade in between the alu lever and that little round holding thingy that butts up against the lever? Mmmmm might have to give this some thought, the front one is the same thats on a blind bolt aswell, stupid idea of Triumph’s if you ask me, their way is to replace the whole shooboodle which I ain’t gonna do!! When you do it Tel take ya time mate. There’s a little spring clip on the ball ends if we’re getting the fleabay bits it wont matter about trashing them clips.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Tel Boy

Oct 23, 2017
    Devon
    Cheers Walob, did you manage to find new rubber boots on evilbay? If so could you put the link up for me. I think I am gonna wait till I get the new ball & sockets before I dismantle the one's on the bike. (Might be a while though as it looks like they are coming from China).

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. walob

walob Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Westcliff on Sea
    Yer thats right China it is, gonna be 3 weeks at least, dunno if them boots will fit the new ball joints but I’ll put the link up for ya anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1