2011 Speedy - What Battery Voltage Question

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by GuySal, Apr 27, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. GuySal

GuySal Member

Sep 15, 2021
    Derbyshire, UK
    Hi guys

My 2011 speedy needed a full battery charge after 3 months on an optimate - I took the optimate off expecting immediate start .... a couple of cranks and then nothing!

I'm at 12.6v unloaded at the mo. Anyone out there let me know what the unloaded / ignition on / running voltage should be pls?

I don't mind getting a new battery but just wanted an idea of what my bike should be running at voltage

Thanks

2. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Leave the meter connected and crank it over.
    Anything less than 11.0 volts under load is time for a new one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bolosun

Bolosun Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    When you hit the starter button, what reading do you get on the battery? It should not go below 10v.

4. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    As above plus consider the age of the battery. Triumph supplied batteries don't usually last five years. In fact any battery that old must be suspect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    In my experience Optimates and alike kill batteries if left on for a long time. Better to take off the bike and just give it a charge occasionally over winter.

6. GuySal

GuySal Member

Sep 15, 2021
    Derbyshire, UK
    Hi all

Looks all good - keeps at 12.6 unloaded and well over 11cranked. Will keep an eye on it over next week or so. Cheers for the help all

• Like Like x 2
  7. GuySal

GuySal Member

Sep 15, 2021
    Derbyshire, UK
    Come to same conclusion on the optimate. Next winter I'll take off the battery then fully charge it in spring

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bolosun

Bolosun Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    I have my optimate on a timer. It's set to switch on for a few hours one day a week.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  9. GuySal

GuySal Member

Sep 15, 2021
    Derbyshire, UK
    That's a great tip thanks. I'll do the same

10. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Apologies but I cannot agree with you guys about Optimates being battery killers.

In 2010 the OE battery on my Ducati became unfit for future use. It had been on an Optimate since I bought the bike new in 2001, so an acceptable lifespan.

My replacement battery, after some relocation of components under the tank, allowed me to install a physically larger battery. I also chose to use one of the Odyssey AGM batteries which are built to military specs. This battery, like the OE one before, is connected 24/7 to an Optimate (the first one lasted 19 years).

The Odyssey battery is still providing sterling service, as is my Optimate 4. So not only has it lasted 12 ½ years so far, it’s larger size allowed me to go from 11 to 18 amp/hours.

I said my first Optimate lasted 19 years. As it turns out it was only one of the LEDs that ceased to function. One of my sons now uses it to service one of his bikes.

Finally, I saw mention above of running the Optimate off of a timeswitch. I now have two bikes that are on the road but only one Optimate. I have devised a cunning plan to automatically share the Optimate between the two bikes using two plugin timers and a double pole, double throw mains relay. Total cost should be under £20, less than half the price of the cheapest Optimate. If anyone is interested PM me an email address and I will happily provide the details.

• Like Like x 1