2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 Battery Discharged

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Alan Powell, May 23, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Alan Powell

Alan Powell New Member

May 23, 2023
    Shrivenham
    Hi All,

Just signed up to the forum and looking for a bit of help for an issue with my 1050 Tiger..
    Unfortunately I dropped my bike on Friday just gone. Slipped on some gravel and lost my footing. On the surface doesn't look like much damage apart from a broken front brake lever and some scuffs on the hand guard. I went to use the bike this morning and have found the battery to be virtually flat. Couldn't unarm the alarm at first so connected the battery to the trickle charger and it started to go off but was making some odd noises. Alarm finally made normal alarm noise and I managed to disarm it. When turning the ignition on the display as very dark, hence assuming that the battery is basically flat.
    Could the impact of dropping the bike damaged the battery in some way? Any help is gratefully received!!

TIA

Alan

2. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    Dropping the bike (we've all done it at some point) would not normally damage the battery. Was the engine running at the time? If it was there is a fall detection switch that cuts power to the ECU and resets when the bike is upright and the ignition turned off then on again. Are the battery terminals nice and tight? If the battery has gone flat after a few days then something has drained it. I would fully charge the battery then check to see if it is holding it's charge (it should maintain about 12.8v). I would not try to start the engine unless the battery is good as the sprag clutch (starter clutch) can be damaged.

• Agree Agree x 1