Featured 2006 Yellow Speed Four Tidy-up

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Chris Milne, Oct 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chris Milne

Chris Milne Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Oldham, UK
    I've just bought a 2006 Speed Four from a really nice bloke Liverpool way who isn't able to ride any more.
    The bike has been stood for a while and is covered in cobwebs and surface grime.
    First aim is to get it through the MOT on the 19th then I can set to cleaning it all up properly.

Things that need attention:
    • Rear brake - when I looked at the bike prior to purchase I could see the back brake wasn't working. The pads were nowhere near the rear disc, and pressing the rear brake pedal caused no movement in the brake piston. Discovered last night that it is the brake line itself that is blocked. Looks like it has been subjected to excessive heat at some point as the black coating on the outside of the pipe appears to have melted slightly. Picked a used genuine rear line on ebay for £6.50... bargain! Also ordered some new stainless banjos and fresh crush washers.
    • Front brake discs - loads of play in them, really 'rattly', I've posted a question in the technical area to see if this is normal
    • Heated grips - the bike came with them, I hate them, they'll be going :yum
    • Lockset - the bike came with 3 keys.. unfortunately, 1 is for the ignition, 1 for the tank and 1 for the seat lock. Not the end of the world, just annoying. Have written I, T and S on the keys in permanent marker for now but will replace the lockset when one comes up at a decent price
    • Other than that and general stuff like a bloody good wash, spraying connectors, bleeding brakes, oil and filter change etc.
    Will add updates on here as things progress. Hopefully I won't discover any nightmares

Chris

• Like Like x 14
  2. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Hello there, Chris.
    Picture would be nice, cobwebs and all. ;)
    Ken.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Chris Milne

Oct 1, 2020
    Oldham, UK
    Looks ok from a distance, but close up you can see it needs work... a bit like the owner :p

B13EC8D7-A350-48A8-A0FC-0E564D705A38.jpeg

80DD7B66-9167-4455-BFF6-F1FC1087E88F.jpeg

E9F4DE73-CE40-47C6-B2DC-AF4217F13633.jpeg

F2740B6F-F5BD-4067-B34C-4CF623F8D483.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
  4. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    I would think 4 cylinder Triumphs would be worth hanging on to. I'd fancy a 1200 Daytona if one came up.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Chris Milne

Oct 1, 2020
    Oldham, UK
    A great first ride out over to Skipton with friends yesterday.
    The bike performed well apart from a few little niggles.
    The ‘floating’ front discs have too much movement and are pushing the pistons back slightly in the caliper so I’m having to double pump the brakes to get full stopping power. I have some spare discs to put on that should solve that.
    The flat spot 3-4k is awful for slow manoeuvres. I managed to pick up a power commander from a TT600 cheap on eBay, assuming it will work since it’s the same engine and the fitting instructions are identical for the TT600 and the S4. My local dyno place should hopefully be able to do me a custom map for it and dial it out
    Other than that I’m super happy

B6051632-4B98-45CF-B937-E443A069845E.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  6. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Elite Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Wirral England
    The discs sound dodgy, I’d definitely get them sorted. Glad you’re liking the bike so far Chris you’ll love it when you get the problems sorted.

• Like Like x 1
  7. English Bowman

English Bowman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Portsmouth UK
    If the ECU is the same as the TT600 you don't need a power commander, and don't fit it, it'll cause more problems than it cures. The ECU is remappable without anything more than a laptop and a cable. Tune ECU can be downloaded free, and their website links to recommended cables.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Captain Klang

Captain Klang Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2019
    Yorkshire
    +1 on Tune ECU Remap. I’ve done myself, it’s so easy!

• Like Like x 2