2006 Scrambler Engine Covers

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Othen, Sep 24, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Othen

Othen New Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Northants
    I have owned my 2006 Scrambler from new (first in Virginia, then in England since 2008), it has just turned 17,000 miles (it is a summer only bike that is garaged).
    The engine covers (in particular the right side one) are starting to look a little scruffy - I think where road grit and salt have cut through the lacquer (see the two photos).
    I'm planning to carry out the major service (valve clearances) this winter, so I thought I might improve a few cosmetic things as well. My question is: what is the best way of dealing with this? If possible I'd like to do the work myself (because maintaining bikes is part of the enjoyment of biking), but if necessary I could remove the covers for treatment elsewhere.
    Best wishes,
    Alan

Right engine cover.jpg

Left engine cover.jpg

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Your lacquered side cases are in much worse shape than my 2005 chromed items but the engine casing and barrels look about the same. If you have the skills and equipment I would say go DIY but a local metal finisher/polisher will make light of things without being too heavy on the wallet.

Personally I would concentrate on arresting corrosion elsewhere (radiator, barrels and swingarm I would guess?) and servicing the mechanicals while getting a professional job on the cosmetics.

BTW I was trying to confirm the background colour on those wings...... doesn’t look khaki on my iPad!

3. Othen

Othen New Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Northants
    Many thanks,

I had a better look at the engine cases today and I'm wondering whether they are actually painted rather than lacquered? If so that might make matters a bit simpler - just a matter of rubbing them down and repainting - possibly in the smart black that the later models used. If anyone knows how they are finished that would be useful.

As I've decided to catch up on any outstanding service jobs this winter I might as well get the cosmetic issues sorted as well - I'll get the engine and cam covers off when the bike is apart for the valve clearance check/adjust and decide then how to approach the problem. I like the bike and would like to keep it standard, but at the same time build in some longevity (hence considering the black painted finish).

... the parachute wings - should be the standard issue (khaki) colour.

Best wishes,

Alan

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Phew! I was worried they might be blue!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Othen

Othen New Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Northants
    Eeeeeeek!

6. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Flat black stove paint on most engines let them run cooler for the most part.

7. Othen

Othen New Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Northants
    Many thanks - the black does look very smart.

8. elevensies

elevensies Noble Member

Jun 11, 2019
    lincolnshire
    blue wings on a maroon tee with Pegasus on the sleeve
    never has the enemy been so disheartened to see that coming towards them

9. Othen

Othen New Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Northants
    Airborne!

• Love You Love You x 1