2005 Speed Triple 1050 Oil Pressure Sensor

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Lewis450, Aug 16, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Lewis450

Lewis450 New Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Bristol, England
    Hi everyone,

On the valid suggestion of @Sprinter here's a new thread aimed at solving the title issue. This topic was originally opened by @RoadSprocket in 2016 - and i'll let his original words explain the problem.

I'm having exactly the problem he has described, and wondered if anyone had resolved this issue and was able to say how complex replacing the sensor was.

Thanks!
    Lewis

" Hi all,

Anyone experienced an oil pressure sensor leaking.. oil?

It's a 2005 Triumph Speed Triple 1050, I've noticed a slight oil leak and traced it upwards to find the source at the oil pressure sensor, it appears a washer has aged and allowing a small oil leak which is running down pretty much everywhere. (Casings, hoses, bottom fairing, gear selector, side stand).

It seems very odd to me that something like this would develop a leak and wanted to query if anyone knew of this happening before? I've also never experienced an oil leak from an upper region of an engine, normally this is a bottom thing due to physics. I've no knowledge how an oil pressure sensor works,
    should there be oil feeding into it?

The other question is how easy is this to remove and replace as there's no wiggle room to get a hand in, but may be able to get in a 22mm tall socket in to remove after disconnecting the electrics. I'm assuming the casing is threaded for this sensor.. or should I be expecting a nut inside the engine area?

[​IMG]
    (Above pictures differs somewhat for my model) but it appears to be the second washer (#24) from the bottom up which connects to (#22) that's the offending part.

[​IMG]
    (Not my bike)

The oil pressure switch has also been causing the dash light to illuminate as a result after riding, I've got no concerns for this as it's been a previous problem for me for the last 1000 miles and tends to only illuminate on/off when idling after a 20 miles period and not applying any throttle/revs which when is applied the light turns off. "

2. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Oil leaks like this are common in many vehicles, however with the symptoms you describe I would replace the sensor and sealing washers with NEW items before it causes a major failure.

As this has been going on for over 1000 miles, depending on how the sensor is failing you could easily be on the verge of disaster and not know it, as, you do not know what pressure the sensor is now "operating " at.

You may think this is over the top, but, you say after a run the oil warning lamp is on at idle, and I hope for your sake the oil sensor is needing higher pressure to operate it, but, you cannot be sure of this and this is where the danger lies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    change the sensor mate it's a no brainer

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lewis450

Lewis450 New Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Bristol, England
    Yeah, fair comment. I'll order a new one now and hopefully that'll be the end of it. I got into the cycle or reading everyone else oil sensor woes last and it sent me into a spin...

Cheers

5. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Personally i pretty much always replace the idiot light sensors with an oil pressure gauge, that way i know if i have the correct oil pressure or not, rather than just enough to put out the light.